Maybe a PH issue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spartin718

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all I am doing a fishless cycle on a Fluval spec v 16 gallon tank. I started the cycle on June 29th with the help of tetra safe start. I am currently dosing ammonia at 3ppm and 2ppm is getting eaten by the bacteria in 24 hours.

My concern is my PH level. I just moved and I now have soft water with a low PH. I read that a low PH can crash your cycle. Can someone please tell me at what point would a PH crash occur? I am attaching a photo of my PH level and was hoping if you guys could tell me if it is ok or not. I plan on keeping an all species tank of silver tip Tetras.

If you need more info please let me know:):thanks:

Attachments

• ph test.jpg
    ph test.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 28
Below 7 it will slow down bacteria growth, low 6s you start to have issues.

If you are cycling out 2ppm ammonia in 24 hours, it doesnt look like you are having issues so far. What is your nitrite and nitrate?

I would cut your ammonia redosing to 2ppm.

Below 7 it will slow down bacteria growth, low 6s you start to have issues.

If you are cycling out 2ppm ammonia in 24 hours, it doesnt look like you are having issues so far. What is your nitrite and nitrate?

I would cut your ammonia redosing to 2ppm.

My nitrites is 0, my nitrates are 40. I will cut the dose to 2ppm. Besides water changes is there something else I can do naturally to increase the PH because the Ph in my tank is the same as my tap water. I hope that makes sense?

Thanks so much!!

If you are able to dose 2ppm ammonia and 24 hours later have 0ppm ammonia and nitrite then you are cycled. It looks like you are there. I would just do a final 2ppm dose and make sure. If you are cycled, do a big water change to get your nitrate down, below 10ppm, preferably 5ppm and add fish.

Some crushed coral or cuttlebone in the filter will increase your pH. I dont really see the need though. What is your pH? (Sorry, im bad at reading parameters from photos). It looks like 7.0 or 6.8 at the lowest. Its better to maintain a steady pH than chasing a specific number.

If you are able to dose 2ppm ammonia and 24 hours later have 0ppm ammonia and nitrite then you are cycled. It looks like you are there. I would just do a final 2ppm dose and make sure. If you are cycled, do a big water change to get your nitrate down, below 10ppm, preferably 5ppm and add fish.

Some crushed coral or cuttlebone in the filter will increase your pH. I dont really see the need though. What is your pH? (Sorry, im bad at reading parameters from photos). It looks like 7.0 or 6.8 at the lowest. Its better to maintain a steady pH than chasing a specific number.

I thought I may have been cycled but then I read that you are supposed to dose at 4ppm so i decided that was too high and increased to 3ppm. I think i was freaking out about the PH because I am so used to having hard water. (Just moved) The PH was about 6.6 but I also read that if it gets too low in the 6 area that it may crash my cycle. You have been such a big help, thank you......I'm still a little worried about the PH. I will keep a close eye on it and if it gets even lower I will add one of the options that you mentioned.

If you put some crushed coral in a media bag or some cuttlefish bone in your filter it should push your pH above 7. Or a piece of limestone in your aquascape. There are substrates that will increase your pH and using baking soda dissolved in your water will do the same. I would look to do any changes to your pH before introducing fish.

If you put some crushed coral in a media bag or some cuttlefish bone in your filter it should push your pH above 7. Or a piece of limestone in your aquascape. There are substrates that will increase your pH and using baking soda dissolved in your water will do the same. I would look to do any changes to your pH before introducing fish.

I am going to put some baking soda in my tank as soon as the store opens:) I don't want to risk a major crash in my cycle. I will wait to add fish when my parameters are correct for a few days at least.....I don't know what i would do without all of your help. I really appreciate it:thanks::dance::fish2:

Back
Top Bottom