Maybe another mantis shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azn_gq

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys,

I recently removed a mantis shrimp that I had over a year in my tank. The only way I was able to remove him was when I moved my tank to my new place and took everything apart. The little [moderator edit] killed alll my inverts (at least $100 worth).

So its been a month now since i got rid of him. I went out and bought all new inverts. A few weeks ago, i noticed that same loud popping noise from my tank. A hermit disappeared. Found its empty shell with a hole in it.....

:confused: what am I to do? You guys think its another one?????

anyone experience this? what did you do to catch it?

how large was the hole? if it was a smasher it would have mangled the shell, not just put a neat hole in it. where is your live rock from? florida?
i've bought a few boxes of rock, and haven't seen one yet. mostly fiji rock. some kaelini, a couple boxes of carribean.
if it is one, there are a few traps you can try. a 2 liter bottle with an inverted end might work.
otherwise, i would find it, follow it into the rock , and remove the rock in question. put it in fresh water. it should jump out of the rock pretty quickly.

The hole is pretty big. The last mantis shrimp did this too. Put random holes in the shells and emptied the bodiees of my shelled inverts.

Problem is... I have no idea where he is.. I can hear it. But I can't even confirm if its another one :(

I know my LFS sells indonesian and fijian rock...

wow this is so frustrating.. its like the last one i got rid of just teleported back into my tank...

what if there were two and they bred?!?!!?

AHHHHHHHHHH!!

try the 2 liter bottle trick..get a bottle and cut the top off a few inches down. flip it around and glue the top back on so it's like a funnel leading into the bottle. put some food in it and sink it in the tank tomorrow you should have caught something....maybe not the mantis, but definitely something.

Yeah I have thought about that... but I have 2 sexy shrimp, 2 skunk cleaners, 2 peppermint, a load of hermits and snails...

So should I keep trying till I catch this thing?

So I did an inverts count. All still there. Today the noise was consistent from a certain rock in my aquarium. So I took a flashlight to do a further inspection. To my surprise I seen a small crab that was twitching along with the noise. Unless it was just being eaten, does anyone recall crabs ever making this noise? I did a ton of research but noting online says crabs can make this noise. Only mantis or pistol shrimps..... Help!!! This noise is driving mw CRAZY!!!

common xanthid crabs do bore into the rock. this may be what you are hearing. rock boring mollusks are also very common in our tanks. do they make a noise while boring in? not sure. i do know that i have heard clicking many times in my tanks and never found any mantis or dead fish/inverts. HTH.

Back
Top Bottom