Mbuna behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cole_russell

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I don't know how many of you watch the walking dead...
*spoiler alert*
But if you do you know that if you cut a zombies arms and jaw off they have no reason to pursue you.

Would the *"same"* mentality apply to mbuna if you removed the things which they fight for? Territory and ladies ?...

For example if you kept all male mbuna in a bare bottom tank would you expect any aggression at all?

Sorry for the strange format and context just wanted my point to be absolutely clear.

That's a very good point haha but I'm pretty sure it would be bad

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Territory is relative, auratus claim about 4-5' square. No structure or females may limit their aggression somewhat. but there's still competition for food, and any fish in their perceived territory is direct competition.

Was just a thought that was pestering me that I thought I'd throw out to you all really.

If you over stock, give plenty of hiding spots, and rearrange those hiding spots often is more likely to curb aggression.

Well honestly I don't like bare bottom tanks, just was thinking what makes a mbuna flip it's switch? And those seemed like the 2 biggest things that would cause aggression.

I think you'd have more aggression with a bare bottom tank. No where to run, no where to hide, it'd be war.

I have an all male mbuna tank with different species and they still fight for rank. In a tank with no decor I feel like the weak would still get picked off and it would be easier.

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom