Mbuna Diet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dirt Diggler

Aquarium Advice Freak
Greetings! I have a 45 gallon with 10 assorted juvie mbuna in it, but mostly zebras. Got a couple of plecos, and a honeycomb cat in there for cleanup duty. I use feeder guppies as target fish when I add fish and they do get eaten. Right now, I'm feeding the tank NLS pellets, and Tetra cichlid flake (Because I already had it), and trying to supplement the vegetable portion further with sushi nori strips. Should I look into spirulina flakes or pellets as well. I'd hate to have to deal with bloat. The fish look happy and healthy right now, and I'm just trying to keep it that way. BTW, you guys are awesome as a forum! (y)

All I use for my veggies is nls h20 wafers. The fish don't go crazy for them like they do nls cichlid formula or tetra a. But they still pick at the wafers, so they're getting some vegetables. Until my cray fish finds the wafer anyways, he loves them.

My cichlids go crazy for New Life Spectrum cichlid formula! Its a bit expensive but ever since ive given it to them the go crazy for it ateach feeding and they are bursting w color. You can pick ot up at petco. I definitely recommend this food its a bit expensive thought

You shouldn't have to feed anything else but nls to them. Otherwise the best veggies would be things like cucumber, and zucchini and any actually veggie you can get them to take.

My cichlids go crazy for New Life Spectrum cichlid formula! Its a bit expensive but ever since ive given it to them the go crazy for it ateach feeding and they are bursting w color. You can pick ot up at petco. I definitely recommend this food its a bit expensive thought

I have the NLS cichlid formula. I think that still has a lot of protein in it though.

It has a decent amount of protein nothing unhealthy and it is made from high quality ingredients so you don't need to feed that much. Fasting once a week will help prevent bloat as well.

It has a decent amount of protein nothing unhealthy and it is made from high quality ingredients so you don't need to feed that much. Fasting once a week will help prevent bloat as well.

Right now, I'm feeding every other day because I'm cycling (I know, I'm using Prime and water changes). The fasting is with daily feedings?

My mbuna and peacocks LOVE frozen brine shrimp as a treat every 2wks and every other day I switch from NLS to veggies and they go NUTS for peas, idk why but they do. Nothing survives the frenzy lol

How do you prep the peas? Do you have to peel them?

No I just defrost them a bit in a cup for about 5-10min and they tear em up drop 2 at a time so they eat most of em before moving on the new new ones your dropping in let them finish before adding a few more

I feed mine a pretty big mix which isnt necessary but i have omega one veggie wafers , hikari cichlid excel sinking pellets (mini size) my synos luv them and i when i feed it i mix it with the same food just floating for the africans to be occupied and the synos have a fighting chance.. i also blanch spinach and tear it in pieces n throw in my tank from time to time.. it definately helps clean them out i also feed seaweed and sometimes soak my food in a garlic supplement ... i just prefer to change it up my fish seem to like this but im sure a long as they are fed they will be happy :)

That is a pretty intense feeding ritual!

Its not really bad.. i feed spinach or seaweed once a month.. during the week i change it up but feed mostly repashy i have 50+ fish in my 125g then have 4 other tanks all with different dietary needs so i keep specifics for each tank . Its my favorite part of the day.. i have a few african cichlids i feed from my hand .

Back
Top Bottom