Mbuna/peacocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derekb132

Aquarium Advice Newbie
As anyone had any luck having these two type of cichlids in the same tank? If so is there a trick to it?

Only bad luck I'm afraid.The mbuna suffocated the peacocks and stunted their growth so I returned the peacocks.
The size of tank you have will very much determine if peacocks will thrive.They need space to have their own territories.
There are however members on here who successfully keep mbuna and peacocks together so hopefully they will chime in and offer you advice.

Ironically I had issues with every other fish with Mbuna's except my peacocks. I currently have 4 peacocks in my 75g and they have all survived and very colorful, it's a mixed tank and was overstocked until the slaughter begun.

All I can say is I've been lucky I wouldn't say successful. Pure luck. I wouldn't advise doing it, there peaceful fish and Mbuna's are aggressive. I'd stick to one species.

I know it's kind of a do as I say NOT as I do but please use me as an example and don't mix species as they all require different things like open space to bottom swimming fish to fish that need a lot of hiding places. I don't want to see you lose 20+ fish like me due to aggressiveness and hyper dominate males battling it out. Here's a great article by a member here, it's an awesome read.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-malawi-aquarium-stocking-cichlids/

This^^^ should help.

Last edited:
I have a friend who keeps them together. His tank is 300 gallons (I call it the indoor swimming pool). He has lots of rock caves kept low to the bottom for the mbunas and tons of room up top for the peacocks. He also feeds sinking food and floating food so feeding is spread out and everyone isn't rushing the top of the tank and fighting for food.

RLBeausoleil said:
I have a friend who keeps them together. His tank is 300 gallons (I call it the indoor swimming pool). He has lots of rock caves kept low to the bottom for the mbunas and tons of room up top for the peacocks. He also feeds sinking food and floating food so feeding is spread out and everyone isn't rushing the top of the tank and fighting for food.

+1 large enough tank and the right husbandry/maintenance and it can be done but would highly advise against it for anyone just starting with cichlids

It's a bit of trial and errors for me. I had them together but under close observation and be ready to pull out any that is overly aggressive. But eventually it worked for me. I have peacocks with hongi, maingano, yellow lab, acei, borleyi, perspicax, elektra and red jewel. Ok not all of them are mbuna :)
One thing that works for me is that it's an all male tank so no risk of breeding aggression.

I've had several tanks where I've mixed the two. My key to success has been tank layout and size as well as keeping them fed and happy. I currently have a few mbunas and 3 peacocks all together. If you look at my pic in others posts you'll see I keep room for swimming but plenty of rock work for others to retreat, hide and swim through. I am currently making plans for a 125g tank but will be mostly peacocks if not all male peacocks. I feed my fish twice a day and change the food up daily from sinking pellets, floating pellets, flake food and frozen mix as well. I've had very little aggression in the tank so far and 0 deaths from fighting over territory.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom