Mbuna size and compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

subliminalanarchy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so I finally upgraded my tank to a 55g (the tanks beautiful wish I had a camera) and right now I only have 2, 3" female yellow labs. I'm going to be getting a total of 5 yellow labs, 5 rustys, and 5 socolofi. My problem is that the LFS only sells these fish at around 1.5-2".

I was planning on getting the 5 rustys today, 3 more yellows next week, and the 5 socolofi the following week. I'm a little worried that my 2 yellows will be too aggressive for the other, smaller fish, particularly the yellow labs.

Any thoughts?

That's usually solved by re-arranging the tank. This forced those already in the tank to claim new territory, rather than bullying the other fish out of their already claimed territory. Don't forget though, you'll end up rehoming several of the fish you get in order to get your male-female ratios correct. You may as well plan on getting 3 extras of each, potentially more.

Ya I'm expecting that. Not looking forward to taking all the rocks out to catch the little buggers though haha.

I heard the rustys are so mellow the ratio isn't as important so I was planning on just keeping an eye out for hyperdominance or whatever.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm stoked about this tank!

I miss my mbuna tank, but my plants make me glad I switched over. They have incredible personalities. I've not kept rustys, but everything I've read/heard says they're definitely one of the most mellow... not sure how the male-female ratio works with them, but I'd say the males would still harass the females if there aren't enough.

I have 11 rustys in 2 different tanks and my largest male is a absolute beast and certainly "the king" of the tank. We all know every fish is different, so you just never know.

Back
Top Bottom