Meanest fish ever!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DGAFPolar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i have 4 Tiger Barbs (2 are albino) and they kill EVERYTHING i try to put into my tank. They have killed 2 red tailed sharks, 2 mystery snails, 5 guppies and even 2 tetras.....i love Tiger Barbs because they are very active and they seem to use the whole tank (bottom to top) to play in, all the other fish i have ever had seem to find a spot and stay there lol. I was wondering if there are any fish that are as active (swims through stuff and races around the tank) but that are so hostile. I love catfish and snails a lot but i dont wanna keep sending them to their doom. Just a 2 day ago i got a new red tailed shark and they have already killed him. Please, any help would do. Thanks in advance

First off, What's up NC! Sorry to hear about all your losses, tiger barbs are notoriously aggressive and I'm not sure, but I think the RTS might be too big for a 20 gal anyway. Next, are you asking about something to put with the tiger barbs, or replacing them with something else? My next OPINION is that depending on what kind of catfish you have, they may be something that will outgrow a 20, and of course from the bottom of your post I'm assuming the barbs are in with the others in the 20? Hope this isn't too long or too negative, it's some things I've learned from bad experience! I finally got rid of my red tiger barbs and got turquoise and boesmani rainbows, but those too would be to much for a 20 gallon tank. Hope it all works out!!

Tiger barbs do better in large groups, 4 is a small group that increases their aggression, unfortunately your tank could be small for a big group.

Maybe try some danios, they are super active also.

Tiger barbs really need to be in a group of 8+ in order to distract them and disperse aggression IME. A longer tank, 29 minimum would be best. I doubt that the barbs killed the other fish. Have you tested your water? Water change schedule?

sry guys, my stuff on here isn't updated, i got 4 barbs in a 20 gal, and i did have a red tailed shark in there, i read up on the tank size limits before i buy fish, all the fish u buy usually say 20 gal or less is needed

sry guys, my stuff on here isn't updated, i got 4 barbs in a 20 gal, and i did have a red tailed shark in there, i read up on the tank size limits before i buy fish, all the fish u buy usually say 20 gal or less is needed

No offense, but where ever you read up on them that recommended a 20G for Tiger barbs and RTS is WRONG. Please post a link.

yea, water lvls are fine, i change the water every month and do an evaporation refill every 2 weeks. if it was the water then why have the barbs outlasted over 12 other animals? i mean the barbs were the first ones in

DGAFPolar said:
yea, water lvls are fine, i change the water every month and do an evaporation refill every 2 weeks. if it was the water then why have the barbs outlasted over 12 other animals? i mean the barbs were the first ones in

Once a month is not enough. The nitrates have probably built up over time. The barbs have become accustomed to the high levels. When you add a new fish it is too much for them to handle. What exactly are your nitrate levels?

DGAFPolar said:

IMO changing your water every month is not the proper maintenance schedule. IME weekly partial water changes between 30 to 50% are the best to maintain a healthy tank and clean water.

Just an observation, maybe the barbs were the killers, but check you water quality, don't assume that the levels are ok unless you check already.

My two cents

I have 6 barbs, betta, 3 khulies, clown pleco, blue gourami, and a pair of kribs in a 25g..

But I have to admit the only reason it's working is because the barbs are juvies. At such a young age from my experience they attend scared of their own shadow at least mine are.

If yours are 2-3 inches they should be in a bigger home.

not sure, ill do a test tomorrow with all the levels, if it is way too high, would taking the barbs out and reestablishing the tank to a proper cycle be too much for the barbs to handle?

DGAFPolar said:

I'm pretty sure it says 20g or more 20g is minimum for most fish and Rts should be around 50g minimum.

yea, it seems every bit of trouble i have ever had with my tank has been odd levels. no worries, i will have it taken care of tomorrow. could my filters be holding anything bad in them? i have a good build up on them and i'd hate to waste it

Back
Top Bottom