Med light red plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela1108

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys. I have a 55 gallon planted tank that I would like to add a but more color to. Just added a bit of alternanthera reineckii to it but wondering if you guys had any other ideas.

Medium light (led daylight and 2 colormax bulbs), we use root tabs, flourish, and flourish excel. My one concern is because we have some bamboo shrimp we probably can't supplement a ton or iron and some of the other metals.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413316118.194119.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413316139.365491.jpg

The a.r. That we just added are new- so I know they will grow and get quite a bit bigger but other suggestions for red or even orangey/purple type of plants are welcome :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have some Ludwigia sp. Red but I won't have enough to sell for a little while. Send me a PM in a week or so and I could get you some.

So you have just the aqueon led system on the 55?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah. Plus it is fairly close to a window so it gets a decent amount of sunlight too. (Not that that really helps)

So I am guessing it is probably at the low end of medium light.

Errrmmmm, the natural light thing can be more trouble then help most of the time..that light would be low light on a 12" tank. No offense.. i had one too, not very good for plants..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hmmm. I've had pretty good luck with it so far. About a week after I switched to it instead of the t8 that came with it all my plants had new growth leaves which was a lot quicker/more than with the original light. I don't really want to go too high anyways so that I don't have to do more with co2.

It is possible that down the road I might switch to a different light or just add another. Right now I am limited with the amount of stuff and time I can put into it because we have toddler-zilla running around the house

With your current lighting situation I'd look mainly at certain crypts (such as crypt wendtii 'red') and maybe red tiger lotus.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advicemyxm mzeN

I got some Crypt Wendtii from Petsmart, in those packages with gel. I did not really have high hopes, but both the green and red variants are doing well. The red grows more slowly (at least in my tank), but it does provide some red(ish) color. I have it at the bottom of a 30" tank, so it's definitely growing in pretty low light. I do use excel and root tabs (osmcote+).

I was amazed given how they had been grown and all the "crypt melt" stories that they just went in and took off growing. A bit pricy for the package but you get a lot of plants.

Hmmm I will look for both. Thanks for the suggestions guys!!

I've had good luck with the petsmart gel pack plants

Back
Top Bottom