Media for a fishless cycle in a 20 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stephpartin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I have a question please:) I am somewhat of a beginner and need advice on what is the best media to use while doing a fishless cycle on a 20 gallon tank using flakes. I read that you shouldn't use carbon while cycling. My whisper 20 filter comes with a biobag with carbon in it. Should I switch that out with something else while cycling and if yes then what to use? Does anyone know if you can fit fluval biomax rings that come in a mesh in this type of filter? Thank you so much in advance for any help. :thanks:

6 gallon: 1 male betta charlie
5 gallon: 1 male betta Peppy and a mystery snail

If there is enough room, you could try to squeeze the mesh bag next to the filter cartridge.
If it is the ring/noodle style ceramic media, then you can try this: take about 1.5' of fishing line and thread it loosely through a dozen or so rings. Tie off each end of the fishing line. Next, slowly sink one end of the "string of noodles" into the filter next to the cartridge until it gets to the bottom. Using a side to side motion, continue to add the media. This will maximize the space in the filter. You may have to experiment with the number of noodles fill the filter.
One advantage of this method is that it allows you to easily remove the media when it's time to rinse the carriage. Much better than have loose media fall to the bottom of the filter box.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Great idea

If there is enough room, you could try to squeeze the mesh bag next to the filter cartridge.
If it is the ring/noodle style ceramic media, then you can try this: take about 1.5' of fishing line and thread it loosely through a dozen or so rings. Tie off each end of the fishing line. Next, slowly sink one end of the "string of noodles" into the filter next to the cartridge until it gets to the bottom. Using a side to side motion, continue to add the media. This will maximize the space in the filter. You may have to experiment with the number of noodles fill the filter.
One advantage of this method is that it allows you to easily remove the media when it's time to rinse the carriage. Much better than have loose media fall to the bottom of the filter box.

Thank you so much for your help!! I will definitely try that. I have not yet seen the filter because it was a kit ordered on amazon. Will be here in a few days. Do you have any advice on the carbon question? I read that you shouldn't use carbon when doing a fishless cycle using flakes as the ammonia. It states that it will stall the cycle if the ammonia is constantly taken out. Is this true and do I need to take my carbon out? Thanks!!:thanks::banghead:

Thank you so much for your help!! I will definitely try that. I have not yet seen the filter because it was a kit ordered on amazon. Will be here in a few days. Do you have any advice on the carbon question? I read that you shouldn't use carbon when doing a fishless cycle using flakes as the ammonia. It states that it will stall the cycle if the ammonia is constantly taken out. Is this true and do I need to take my carbon out? Thanks!!:thanks::banghead:

I'm not sure it removes ammonia directly else we'd all be running it all the time. It is said to remove some the dissolved organic compounds (whatever they might be) that have the potential to be ammonia.

I'm not sure it will do any harm. Just take it out if you're not sure and then put it back in when the cycle is over.

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/does-carbon-remove-trace-elements.6980/#post-77856

I'm not sure it removes ammonia directly else we'd all be running it all the time. It is said to remove some the dissolved organic compounds (whatever they might be) that have the potential to be ammonia.

I'm not sure it will do any harm. Just take it out if you're not sure and then put it back in when the cycle is over.

Does carbon remove trace elements? | UK Aquatic Plant Society

Thx!! I went to petco and looked at the filter and it is feasible to empty the charcoal and replace with the ceramic bio rings. I also have a bioscrubber in my filter that is supposed to hold a good amount of BB. My tank arrives tomorrow and I'm so excited!!!:thanks:

Thx!! I went to petco and looked at the filter and it is feasible to empty the charcoal and replace with the ceramic bio rings. I also have a bioscrubber in my filter that is supposed to hold a good amount of BB. My tank arrives tomorrow and I'm so excited!!!:thanks:

Hey you're welcome. Good luck with the new tank.

Maybe start a thread on the setting up of your new tank.

Back
Top Bottom