Media stacking in a canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NorCalAl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm using an XP2 on my 65g and wanted some opinions on the media stack I am using since the last filter change. From bottom to top (which goes with the flow of water) it's 4 layers of foam (which fill the first media basket), then about 2" of ceramic media followed by 1 more sheet of foam and finally a bag of carbon and zoolite. The filter is used in my (now) primarily discus tank. It's pretty heavily planted as well.
I was trying for a balance of stuff to clean/polish the water and to provide media for bio-filtering.
Good? Bad? Crazy?

I'd take out the carbon and zeolite if it's a planted tank. It will remove valuable nutrients that the plants need. Also, carbon, no matter what brand you get, only lasts a week anyways. Here's what I have in my XP2:

Lower basket: 2 coarse sponges, 2 medium sponges
Upper basket: ceramic rings in the bottom, filter floss in the top, covered by the white fine filter pad.

carbon or not, that white fine filter (or "water polisher" i think the instructions say), should be at the top of the stack, right?

OK, good call. I'll leave the carbon in for the weekend, which will give me a chance to get a new pad. Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom