Medicate during QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ilovemyfishies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am expecting my new fish to arrive in the next few days. My QT tank is up, heater is going and I will be putting in my filter media from my cycled tank before they arrive. My question is, should I treat these new fish as if they have parasites and fungus along with feeding them anti-parasitic and anti-bacterial foods, or don't medicate, but feed them the medicated food?

I wouldn't use any meds if there are no signs of illness or infection. Any medication can be stressful, this is where there are limits on dosing and duration.

High quality food and water are all that are needed to prevent illness in most situations. I only feed and recommend New Life Spectrum. I feed the Thera+A formula because it has enough extra garlic to actually kill some parasites. Everyone I have talked to who feeds it all the time says they have noticeably reduced health problems overall.

Remember that there is absolutely no point in quarantining if the QT is not at least as good as the DT. A lack of stress is needed to prevent (and cure) almost all illnesses. If the water quality is lower in the QT than in the DT you are stressing them more by quarantining. If it is empty with no decorations, barely cycled, etc. you are doing more harm than good by using a QT.

Back
Top Bottom