Medicating the frozen food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nautilus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After I started feeding my fish with Hickary frozen bloodworms, my fish, dwarf neon rainbows, developed some parasitic disease. (May be it was just coincidence?) One fry died from the swollen gill, another fish had 3 (!) wormlike objects sticking out of its rear. It doesn't have them now, but I am still concerned. I am going to treat them with antiparasite medicated pellets, but in the future, I still want to feed them frozen food.
My question: Can I prevent the parasitic infestation by medicating the frozen food, what should I use and how much? I have heard the good things about Jungle Parasite Clear. Will it help?
Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks.

[center:f59ca65e69]:smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Nautilus! :n00b: [/center:f59ca65e69]

The frozen food was not the cause of the infection. Since the frozen food is dead along with anything that was in the frozen food.

What are the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? How long has the tank been set up? Have you added any new fish lately?

Jungle Parasite Clear is a good product, if you the fish are affected by parasites.
Check out these sites to narrow down what is affecting your fish:
http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html
http://www.aquatronicsonline.com/hobbyist/hobbyist3.htm

Menagerie,
Thank you very much for your reply.
My 29G planted tank was cycled without fish 5 months ago. Since then, the only fish I have had there are 5 dwarf neon rainbows, 3 small cories and 1 SAE. The water parameters are: Ammonia and Nitrites are 0, Nitrates 10, PH 7.0. No new fish was introduced, and the only fish affected by the sickness are rainbows.

In a few days after I got them, they got mouth fungus. I treated and cleared it with Melafix+Pimafix. The fish produced a lot of offspring, a few of babies survived. Then I lost both males to the internal infection or parasite. The main symptom was white stringy poo, then bloating and death :( . They died despite antibiotic treatment.

I fed them Omega One flakes and freeze-dried bloodworms. Then somebody told that freeze-dried foods are not free from parasites, and I stopped feeding it. Then I have got Bio-Pure Frozen bloodworms. There was a claim on the package that it has 3 step sterilization, and bacteria and parasite free.

But after starting using it, I lost a fry to swollen gill (no antiparasite medicine worked), and one female to some breathing problems.

Menagerie, thank you very much for the good links. But do you know any way to additionally disinfect the frozen food?

Parasites will not enter the aquarium via frozen or prepared foods. Parasites cannot survive without a living host for more than a few weeks. Bacterial and fungal infections are another story, and IMO fish can get food poisoning from frozen food that has thawed and been refrozen, or dried food that has been around too long.

Many foods can be soaked in a medicated solution and then fed. This is an excellent way of treating Hex for example. The thing is, it's best to know what you're treating for and not guess.

I've found the Jungle Labs product "Parasite Clear" to be effective against most parasitc gill infections.

Thanks for advise, Brian.
I don't think my fish were poisoned, because I never refreeze thawed food (I always discard leftovers), and always keep the flakes refrigerated. As for parasites, can they survive in the form of cysts for a long time, hybernating in cold conditions? I know, the human parasites can. Another question: what "worm" can be seen sticking out of fish's rectal area? Or what might white string feces mean? And, can I disinfect the frozen food, soaking it in medication and then rinsing thoroughly? If yes, what and how much medication to use for 1 cube?
Thank you for any suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom