Medication suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shelbidavis

Aquarium Advice Activist
Any suggestions on medications to treat my 46 gal tank for internal parasites? One of my gouramis are sick and slightly bloated, some people think it's a parasite. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416849408.238317.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416849446.668062.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Using Medications

Any suggestions on medications to treat my 46 gal tank for internal parasites? One of my gouramis are sick and slightly bloated, some people think it's a parasite. View attachment 256496View attachment 256497

Hello shel...

Don't put medications in the tank water, unless you know precisely how they will affect the fish, plants and good bacteria. Unless you have a degree in fish biology, you can't be sure if there's an internal problem. Keep the tank water a little cleaner, by removing and replacing a little more and more often than usual. Feed a little less and add some minced garlic to the menu. Spice World has a very good product. If the fish are a bit under the weather, they tend to eat less and you don't want uneaten food to foul the tank water. The garlic is high nutrient and has natural antibiotics.

B

I definitely like that way better. The medications scare me and are a lot money. I'm afraid my gourami is getting worse and worse and I'm not sure what to do. I feel that I need something strong like medication to make him better. He looks like he's going to die, and I don't want my other fish to catch what he has. I've never heard of garlic but I can sure give it a shot. Any other suggestions? He doesn't move at all, looks skinny but bloated at the belly. Doesn't respond very much. Sit at the bottom of the tank staring at the heater. Any ideas?

Hello shel...

Don't put medications in the tank water, unless you know precisely how they will affect the fish, plants and good bacteria. Unless you have a degree in fish biology, you can't be sure if there's an internal problem. Keep the tank water a little cleaner, by removing and replacing a little more and more often than usual. Feed a little less and add some minced garlic to the menu. Spice World has a very good product. If the fish are a bit under the weather, they tend to eat less and you don't want uneaten food to foul the tank water. The garlic is high nutrient and has natural antibiotics.

B

I tried putting garlic soaked bloodworms in my tank and my fish were not interested. How did you get your fish to eat it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just put some munched garlic in my 46 gal, with some blood worms. They aren't liking it at all haha. Should I vacuum it out? Or will it still do the job of they don't eat it?

I just put some munched garlic in my 46 gal, with some blood worms. They aren't liking it at all haha. Should I vacuum it out? Or will it still do the job of they don't eat it?

If they dont eat it in 15 minutes, chances are they wont touch it. Vacuum it and try again tomorow.

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

You can deduce the issue down to internal parasites if you look for symptoms, you don't need to be a biologist. If you settle on this diagnosis, i suggest going with medicated food. Metronidazole is popular for treating IPs, I have used the treatment on my EBJD, and metro doesn't affect the biofilter.

Would of gone for metro as well.

If you have exhausted natural remedy cures like water changes, better quality food, water chemistry checks and making sure he is not stressed/picked on; then meds is next step.

Back
Top Bottom