Medication to keep on hand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cthulhu

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do you keep medication so you are ready to deal with problems when they happen? If so what do you keep?

I currently have 3 rummynose tetras (which used to be 6) in quarantine. It is possibly columnaris that killed the 3, I couldn't confirm. I have no medication to deal with it, and I don't know what I should use.

So what would be a good idea to keep if I want to be ready to deal with the most probable diseases?

It is probably best to not buy medication unless you need it, you might waste your money buying something you'll never need, or it won't work when you need it.

They only usually have a sell buy date of a year. So if I was you I wouldn't bother. I always have a bottle of melafix to hand but that's mainly to help healing with any superficial injuries.

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I keep a lot on hand but some takes a bit to get. Hopefully it will expire and never get used. Lfs open every day here so just a matter of knowing what they stock and what to order.

I keep Melafix, Methylene Blue, Aquarium salt, antifungal, and antiparasitic medications on hand at all times.

I don't keep any meds on hand beyond Salt.

I typically just keep water perfect and pick my fish very carefully.

Had Ich a couple years ago. Just kept doing water changes and feeding quality food. All fish pulled thru. Didn't use salt or heat as it's a planted tank.

I do have a small QT but haven't needed it lately.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If their still eating and you have bacteria problems, this will clean them out sure as anything. Ken's Premium Sinking Pellets with Oxytetracycline 2.5mm
Its like $1.50 per half pound. So yeah, best deal you can get, any one heck of a good gram negative antibiotic!
For fungus, its more straightforward, methylene blue, malachite green, furan-2 all will clear up mold, but so will just heat and good clean water. They make a product (Kordon) called rid ich plus,Kordon Rid Ich + 16 oz. it doubles as a anti-parasite/ick med, but will work for fungus/mold too. I would at least keep these two on hand. The pellet food can be found in powder form as well, but usually if they stop eating from a bacterial infection, their probably too far gone anyways. You can just put this stuff in the blender and puree it for small fish and keep some pellets if you want to keep big fish. IT IS A POWERFUL ANTIBIOTIC that they use in the food farmed fish industry. So trust me, it works. Do not shotgun antibiotics ever,meaning only use as needed and use for a full 7-10 days, only this food, 3 times a day.

Those two will cover your main three bases, parasites, fungal, and bacterial. OFC there are gut paraistes and worms, but these are less common ailments. There is also a new liquid drug called "Paraguard" that is like the old fomalin that is a good safe non-alyheyde non-good bacteria killing, all around alternative prevenative, that alot of shops use in Quarenteen or hospital tanks now, for anything external.

I had a question but I can't start a new topic . Does this look like intestinal parasites? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420995994.697146.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had a question but I can't start a new topic .

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Starting a new thread is simple from an iPhone. Open the menu (3 horizontal bars) on top left, scroll down and open "browse". Select the topic (freshwater) and then subtopic (unhealthy fish). The 3 dots on top right will allow you to start a new thread. Please supply as much info using the disease questionnaire to make it easier for folks to help you.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Back
Top Bottom