Medicines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Should I keep medicines on hand in case I need them? Cory from Aquarium Co-Op and John from KGTropicals recommends this, but won't the medicines go bad after a time of just sitting? What medicines should I have on hand, what sizes should I get, and what are the best brands of the medicines?

I have several types of meds on hand, so this will sound hypocritical, but the only med you really need to keep on hand, IMO, is an ICK cure. Anything else can be bought when you need it, if you need it. Most fish ailments can usually be cured by regular tank maintenance and large water changes. AS far as expiring, I've been told by a pharmacist friend that dry meds (tablets, powders, etc) typically have a shelf life of several years. However, many liquid meds, if meant to be stored at room temp and not refrigerated, usually have a shelf life of a year or less. WE weren't discussing aquatic meds at the time, but I would imagine the advice fits both situations.

Back
Top Bottom