Meet my midas/red devil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plecos4596

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here's Toby!! I know terrible picture will get better ones.

image-3202284749.jpg

Hoping its full blood red devil is it a Midas or a red devil? Soooooooooooo excited getting a 55 for him!!!!!

You have a 10 gallon and bought a red devil? To go with a jack Dempsey...all in a 10 gallon. Good to see you took my advice from last time....

And I'll almost guarantee it's a midevil, a hybrid of labiatus and citrinellus, a pure form of either species is quite rare

A 55 really isn't large enough for a midas/red devil/midevil. They're a very aggressive group and claim large territories, as well as being quite large. I'd say 75 minimum for a single devil, no tank mates at all

You have a 10 gallon and bought a red devil? To go with a jack Dempsey...all in a 10 gallon. Good to see you took my advice from last time....

And I'll almost guarantee it's a midevil, a hybrid of labiatus and citrinellus, a pure form of either species is quite rare

A 55 really isn't large enough for a midas/red devil/midevil. They're a very aggressive group and claim large territories, as well as being quite large. I'd say 75 minimum for a single devil, no tank mates at all

I took all my fish back!! Jeez I'm getting a bigger tank thanks for all the nice comments just chill please.

Thanks I love him I think it's a he but I love it!! Eyes are so big.

It terrible people sell these hybrids and pass them off as Red Devils. I was more just commenting on the fact that it doesn't look like a pure citrinellum or labiatus

I'm glad you love him that's all that matters, if you keep him in that 10 for longer than a month he will be stressed which leads to disease or worse. Don't bother with a 55. Please find a nice 75, there are good deals on craigslist, check the tank out carefully make sure it holds water. I agree with previous post.. He will need atleast 75 to himself sooner than you think.

I don't see any character traits of a midas though.

You're not necessarily going to, but a pure blood red devil or Midas is incredibly rare, usually wild caught or F1. That's why the line between the species is so blurry, because they've been hybridized so much, so you won't necessarily see the Midas in this individual, but I'd almost guarantee it's in there if it was labeled as a red devil. The about though is way too elongated to be pure of either species, and isn't exactly characteristic of either species either. Looks oddly like a red bay snook (petenia sp.), but the color doesn't exactly match.

I guess it kinda has the body but not the super long mouth lol

he does have devil body and snook face (I searched images hope he doesn't do that extendo condom lip thing) =) no, j/k I like his eyes too, he's cool! When you getting your upgrade?

I know this is pushing it but at the worst Christmas but I think I can get it early and he is small:) oh and thanks

Last edited:
Bummer looked like one to me): do ya think he's at least cool haha

I went and researched some more and found that if you look at its head from above a Red Devils mouth is more of a v shape and midas isn't mine has a v shaped mouth so i know it's red devil but what other fish because I swear I do not see midas on it so what else could it be? This is hard.

He worked hard digging last night the cave he was in fell because of his digging.

image-2683914701.jpg

Back
Top Bottom