melafix & other meds...together at same time?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

millym

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi
just wondering does anyone know if its safe to put interpets anti internal bacteria med in a tank that has been dosed with melafix the other day??? theres no info on either bottle & i dont want to hurt my fish
any info most appreciated
thanks

I am currently treating a pleco for hemorraghic septicemia with Melafix and KanaPlex. Melafix every evening and following the directions for the KanaPlex (dosing in the morning). So far, so good!

I used MelaFix with Kanacyn in the past for a week with no problems.

I've also used MelaFix with PimaFix to treat a very minor case of cottonmouth.

One thing I have found with MelaFix, tho: It is a great prophylactic med to prevent bacterial infections after minor injuries or parasite infestations. However, it does not work as well as antibiotics like kanamycin for fighting established infections. If you have a fish with cottony stuff all over or a fish that is not eating or appears listless, do not waste precious time with MelaFix alone - use one of the broad spectrum antibiotics.

However, it does not work as well as antibiotics like kanamycin for fighting established infections.
Agreed. I am using Melafix to help prevent secondary infections.

I am using pimafix to treat a fungal infection that is on my severum... should i be using anything else. I used the melafix a while back and it treated the fungal infection but did not rid my guy of it. It just came back, so i am using the pimafix now. Is it weird that none of my fish are sick are get sick just this one.

* agrees with Menagerie*

QT the severum and treat it with something like kanamycin or fungus clear.
IMO, if melafix did not work last time, then I doubt that Pimafix will work now.

when we say QT the fish, would a divider be sufficient or should he be in a separate tank. I am going to give the pimafix a shot, althought the bottle doesnt suggest how much to use and how often.. The only thing i figured was to stop filtration using carbon.

QT the fish in a separate tank--a divider will allow the meds and the disease to go through--this would defeat the purpose of QTing the ill fish.
Since I don't know much about Pimafix, I googled it (I suggest you do that also to make the best decision for your fish).
Treats fungal infections · Treats both internal and external bacterial infections · PimaFix has been formulated to work in combination with MelaFix to enhance effectiveness against fish diseases
University studies and laboratory tests showed that PimaFix is an effective antifungal AND antibacterial remedy for both freshwater and marine fish.
I was looking for dosing info, but don't have time to continue this search. However, I did find this about Melafix:
If used in quadrupled dosage, it could burn the corneas of the eyes, causing them to be cloudy.
If you overdose it, like quadruple dosing, you might notice that the fin tips begin to fray. Additionally at such high doses you may notice the fish will be irritated and swim angrily around the vat or tank.
MelaFix increases water's surface tension to such an extent that foaming is sometimes a side-effect.

:? Info on Pimafix is lacking, IMHO. Maybe someone who has experience will be able to help.

I will use an antibiotic with another type med..
but personally think it may a very bad habit to mix meds since most are metal based you are doubling a med basically by using two doses of two metals.

Melafix and Pimafix are not metal based (they are from natural oils). I have successfully treated a very ailing pleco with an antibiotic along with Melafix to cut down on secondary infections.

I will let you guys know how the PIMAFIX works out. The severum right now is strong and the fungus isnt spreading and he hasnt lost his appetite at all. I am adding 3 tablespoons each morning, this is day number two, from what i know of the melafix it takes about 4-6 days to rid the fish of the fungus. The only thing with QT the severum is that all my tanks are being used right now. The tank i used to use for sick fish is being occupied by a needle nose gar and a catfish. None of my other severums are sick its just one fish.

The severum right now is strong and the fungus isnt spreading and he hasnt lost his appetite at all.
That's a good sign. Good luck with the severum and definitely let us know.

ok so for 5 days now i have been adding three tbl spoons of the PIMAFIX each morning. I had removed the carbon and ammonia from the tank. The fungus and fin rot has cleared up. Now there are two tiny specks that if you werent paying attention you would be unable to see on the one fin. I am going to apply for another day then give it a break. Hoping that it will clear up within the next two days completely. This will tell me whether the PIMAFIX had aided the fish or cured the fish.

Hi, I am not Menagerie, but the elusive 'fiancé' that Menagerie sometimes mentions.

With many medications it is often best to continue the dosage regime for several days after all the symptoms have completely cleared up. The last few specks of parasitic organisms (whether bacteria, protozoans or fungi) left towards the end of the treatment are still remaining because they are slightly more resistant to the medication than the rest. If the medication is stopped at this point, then those resistant pests will proliferate and spawn more resistant pests, and that can set you back. This is also why (for example) doctors will tell you to take the whole bottle of antibiotics for an infection, rather than just stopping part way through.

I would recommend to continue treatment for just a few days after the symptoms are completely gone. It sounds good so far--good luck!

I had stopped medicating for two days, then i was going to start again.. Tonight i will start... If i still see the specks in a couple days i will dry something different. Also does anyone know where I would be able to find a tube of plexite. I am tryin to build a sump so i can get the new tank running.

Also does anyone know where I would be able to find a tube of plexite. I am tryin to build a sump so i can get the new tank running.
Try posting in the DIY forum.
(This is realy Menagerie!)

Back
Top Bottom