Melafix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
+1 on frequent water changes. Clean water is the best remedy. Plus, of you have any fish with labyrinth organs (such as bettas) melafix is a really bad idea as it can coat the surface and make it difficult for them to get air from the surface.

+1 on frequent water changes. Clean water is the best remedy. Plus, of you have any fish with labyrinth organs (such as bettas) melafix is a really bad idea as it can coat the surface and make it difficult for them to get air from the surface.

Wow really. I'll stop using it in that tank then. Thanks

Wow really. I'll stop using it in that tank then. Thanks

Sad isn't it - melafix is really the only antibiotic that comes up in searches here on online shops. Waterlife products are available eg myxazin but they are very short on product ingredients or even what to use them for. Sure water changes are all good and will perk up fish, it just feels a little like import regulations give you one hand tied behind your back sometimes. I'll get off my tin box now....

Sad isn't it - melafix is really the only antibiotic that comes up in searches here on online shops. Waterlife products are available eg myxazin but they are very short on product ingredients or even what to use them for. Sure water changes are all good and will perk up fish, it just feels a little like import regulations give you one hand tied behind your back sometimes. I'll get off my tin box now....

I know what you mean. I have had success with king British and water life products but they are quite concentrated. As melafix says rapid repair to fins on the bottle I thought I would give it a go. Usually waterlife starts working after 2 days so if melofix yields no positive results today I'll be changing products again and losing £11. It seems all the better products are in the US I can't even seem to source omega one fish food here. Sucks

Yes, I must admit the myxazin works. I had a b/n catfish with a bacterial infection, treated with triple sulfa and seemed OK. I'd ordered myxazin but packed it away. Came back from holidays to see a dead patch around one gill and I think fungas about a cm long off that. There was even tank debris caught in it. Seemed bacterial plus fungal but could be wrong. Anyways, thought he was gone but the myxazin absolutely hammered it down - even over summer here with higher tank temps. Took a few more treatments and lots of water changes but the big thing I noticed was that it was mostly gone in 2 days.

Yes, I must admit the myxazin works. I had a b/n catfish with a bacterial infection, treated with triple sulfa and seemed OK. I'd ordered myxazin but packed it away. Came back from holidays to see a dead patch around one gill and I think fungas about a cm long off that. There was even tank debris caught in it. Seemed bacterial plus fungal but could be wrong. Anyways, thought he was gone but the myxazin absolutely hammered it down - even over summer here with higher tank temps. Took a few more treatments and lots of water changes but the big thing I noticed was that it was mostly gone in 2 days.

Yeh it's a **** good product if the fish is not in too much of a bad way. The concentration can be too much for them to take and the plants certainly don't like it. Nor do shrimp and snails which are few of the products drawbacks. Great for quarantine tank. I wanted to go down a more natural route. Changed 50% water and added melafix. I'll post results when I get home. Also awaiting the arrival of triple sulfa. 2 boxes cost me £20 inc delivery which is double the cost had it been available here.

lol - now I'll be up all night pondering words....

I would be keen to know results for sure as it is fairly (relatively!) cheap over here.

lol - now I'll be up all night pondering words....

I would be keen to know results for sure as it is fairly (relatively!) cheap over here.

Melafix doesn't seem to be working. I'm gonna do a 50% water change tomorrow and start the waterlife or king British treatment again.

I've had melafix work wonders on damaged fins. However, I've never used it with live plants or bettas.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've had melafix work wonders on damaged fins. However, I've never used it with live plants or bettas.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That is better than I thought with it. Made a big difference would you say?

Back
Top Bottom