Melafix???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MH411

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I noticed that my dalmation mollie has a cloydy eye, It is only on one side, all water levels are normal, if I treat with melafix should I treat seperately??? Ornwould it be ok to just treat the whole tank???

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What else is in the tank? If you have any labyrinth organ fish (Gourami, Betta, etc) then you need to move the molly to a quarantine tank and treat it there. Melafix has been shown to cause damage to labyrinth organs, sometimes to the point that it becomes unusable and the fish "drowns". If you don't have any of these fish, then go ahead and treat the whole tank just in case anyone else is affected.

Nope none of those, I have a assortment of tetras, 1 pink, 1 purple 1 green 1 silver 2 long fin tetras and 2 redtailtetras, and 2 platys and a snail...and the dalmatian molly :)

How long/often should I treat the tank???

Treat as directed on the bottle. I don't use Melafix personally since I have Gourami, so I can't give you any dosage/frequency tips beyond that ;)

The Melafix can kill the snail if you over dose. I would do daily 10% water changes cloudy eyes normally mean high nitrates.

I definitely havent overdosed lol I did as it said on the bottle using appropriate measuring spoons well ever since I added the melafix, the molly has been acting normal:) before he was shimmying I guess u would say. Now just normal behavior, all levels were great, and that's using 2 different types or testing.

Back
Top Bottom