Melting plants???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Last week I did a total rescape of my 29 gallon pulling out all the plants and re planting. This weekend I was gone for a few days and now that I'm back my plants appear to be melting. The ludwigia repens has lost almost all of its leaves. The edges of the leaves on amazon and melon swords are turning brown. Crypts of course are still okay. Are they simply re acclimating to their environment. Did I do something wrong? I have a dual t5 no 6700k lamp. Dose seachem ferts and excel daily.

Here are a few pics.

image-897291559.jpg

image-450855340.jpg

image-1550637835.jpg

What should I do?

I'd like to apologize in advanced for the bad pics.

It looks like a macronutrient (N or P) issue to me, although low light might also be a problem. Do you happen to know your nitrate level?

It looks like a macronutrient (N or P) issue to me, although low light might also be a problem. Do you happen to know your nitrate level?

I tested the two macros that I can test tonight. Results are as follows:
Nitrates 20ppm
Phosphates : 1-2ppm can't tell exactly.

I don't think its a macro issue as I haven't changed my ferts in over 6 months same with light. Everything was going well before the rescape.

Thanks for replying so soon aquachem.

So let me make sure I'm interpreting your pictures correctly.

Your ludwigia is shedding leaves. The top leaves are less affected than the bottom leaves. The leaves that are still attached to the plant are turning yellow-ish, and your have some degree of stem rot as well.

Your sword is not shedding leaves, but it's turning yellow, starting from the tip and moving inward. No real holes forming?

It's interesting really. You have classic signs of nitrate deficiency (the way the leaves are yellowing and shedding from the bottom) and lack of light (stem rot and lower leaf loss), but your tests and history seem to indicate otherwise. Plants don't usually pout that much if they've moved around within the same tank unless something happened in transition (eg drying out), ludwigia especially. I will say though that T5NOs on a 19" tank aren't going to be much light, though it's weird that you've had decent luck up until now.

Are you dosing according to directions for the Excel and Flourish?
Are you using root tabs?
What's the stocking level of the tank? How often do you do WCs?
Have you changed anything else recently?
Lighting schedule?

So let me make sure I'm interpreting your pictures correctly.

Your ludwigia is shedding leaves. The top leaves are less affected than the bottom leaves. The leaves that are still attached to the plant are turning yellow-ish, and your have some degree of stem rot as well.

Your sword is not shedding leaves, but it's turning yellow, starting from the tip and moving inward. No real holes forming?

It's interesting really. You have classic signs of nitrate deficiency (the way the leaves are yellowing and shedding from the bottom) and lack of light (stem rot and lower leaf loss), but your tests and history seem to indicate otherwise. Plants don't usually pout that much if they've moved around within the same tank unless something happened in transition (eg drying out), ludwigia especially. I will say though that T5NOs on a 19" tank aren't going to be much light, though it's weird that you've had decent luck up until now.

Are you dosing according to directions for the Excel and Flourish?
Are you using root tabs?
What's the stocking level of the tank? How often do you do WCs?
Have you changed anything else recently?
Lighting schedule?

Yes I am dosing according to directions. I am using root tabs. I have only one angel in the tank. I do a 50% pwc once a week. I haven't really changed anything other than all my anubias dying. I think because I am feeding with panacur/fenbendazole to treat camallanus worms with little luck. Lights are on 7 hours a day. Please note I haven't fed panacur for a few months and the dead anubias was a while back.

As we did have some unexpected guest my plants did dry a little though. Could this be the cause? If so will my plants survive?

It could be playing into it, but I wouldn't bet on it. At the very least, it's not causing this on its own.

How long has the long angel been in the tank? What was the stock before that?

Honestly, at this point, if I had to bet on something I would say it's a nitrate issue. The tank is pretty substantially under-stocked, and the one fish might not be producing enough waste to supply the tank, especially with Excel. I've run into similar problems with nano tanks that had a single betta. Your nitrate test might be leading you astray on this one for whatever reason.

It could be playing into it, but I wouldn't bet on it. At the very least, it's not causing this on its own.

How long has the long angel been in the tank? What was the stock before that?

Honestly, at this point, if I had to bet on something I would say it's a nitrate issue. The tank is pretty substantially under-stocked, and the one fish might not be producing enough waste to supply the tank, especially with Excel. I've run into similar problems with nano tanks that had a single betta. Your nitrate test might be leading you astray on this one for whatever reason.

The angel has been in the tank for at least a year. Roughly 3-4 months ago stock was 2 angels and 1 bn pleco. They were wipped out by camallanus. I'll do another nitrate test tomorrow. And let you know what the results are

Back
Top Bottom