Metal Halide Lighting. What do I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aralls92

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just recieved my metal halide light bulbs today to replace my old ones and when I turned them on, they produced a greenish color in the tank. Is this normal or do I need to send them back to get new ones? They are 175W 220V lights and I ordered them off Amazon. What's even worse is I can't read the writing on the package because it's in Chinese.

I guess the better question would be: Is 10,000K enough light for a 72 Gallon Aquarium?

I don't have MH lights, but I know MH bulbs have a short burn-in period before they start showing their true color.

10,000K is a measure of the light color, not how much light the bulb is putting out. Power usage (175W in your case) is more indicative of the quantity of light put out. As for it being enough, what are you doing with this tank?

I am planning a reef tank but the lights are over a year old and I know you have to replace them every 10 to 12 months since they lose their intensity. And I am working on sending them back. I decided to buy a whole new light due to the fact that I can't even find an LED bulb to replace one of mine that went out.

Are your ballasts 220v also? The standard ballast is 110v. You may have mismatched bulbs and ballasts

Back
Top Bottom