Metronidazole and filter bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mar23

Aquarium Advice Freak
Will this medication kill the BB in my filter? I'm not dosing the tank, but rather soaking the food in it. If the answer is yes, how can I prevent it?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Nope, from what I understand it only affects anaerobic bacteria, unlike the very aerobic filter bacteria.

Nope, from what I understand it only affects anaerobic bacteria, unlike the very aerobic filter bacteria.

Thanks! That sure makes things a lot simpler.

Not that I've experienced no. That was also mixing into the tank water as well, rather than medicated food.

Good luck with your fish, Mar23!

We are going to medicate our tank soon, our pygmies are not faring so well :(

Not sure how to mix it in food, though. We were just going to dose the tank. We use Omega One MicroPellets (color and veggie) and we also feed Omega One veggie rounds. Our piggy Panda cory cats pig on it, but it's supposed to be for our bn pleco.

I am relieved to hear it doesn't screw with BB. The medicine has 250 mg Metronidazole, and 75 mg Praziquantel per packet... API General Cure is what I came up with when looking for this medicine.

Does it affect shrimp? We have 6 shrimp we do not want to lose!!!!

Thank you! I just hope it doesn't hurt anyone, we're a little nervous about hurting anyone else.

Sadly, since the pygmy died recently, last night I noticed a pygmy with a deteriorating pectoral fin and some white fuzzy in that area. Ugh..... I don't mean to hijack this person's post, though, but posted because it pertains to what we are going to do soon!

Phew! Thanks :) And the other medicine that's in API General Cure is safe for the cycle too?

Phew! Thanks :) And the other medicine that's in API General Cure is safe for the cycle too?

Yeah, that stuff is super specific to worms. Doesn't do a thing to any bacteria. I've used it before to treat worms in loaches and never ever had an issue with the cycle.

Thanks. I am putting it in the food. I have a small tupperware container with premixed medicine and freeze dried food soaking in it. It's working, so far.

Thank you! I just hope it doesn't hurt anyone, we're a little nervous about hurting anyone else.

Sadly, since the pygmy died recently, last night I noticed a pygmy with a deteriorating pectoral fin and some white fuzzy in that area. Ugh..... I don't mean to hijack this person's post, though, but posted because it pertains to what we are going to do soon!

No problem!!!

Another question if anyone who knows the answer to this is still following... even though it won't hurt the bacteria, the medicine still recommends removing the filter.

Will the filter suck up medicine and make it less effective? It says to put in two treatments, 48 hrs apart, then do a 25% water change. should the filter be removed? :/

Another question if anyone who knows the answer to this is still following... even though it won't hurt the bacteria, the medicine still recommends removing the filter.

Will the filter suck up medicine and make it less effective? It says to put in two treatments, 48 hrs apart, then do a 25% water change. should the filter be removed? :/

I think that if you add any medications to your tank you are supposed to remove the carbon, if you have any. I think the carbon will remove the medicine from the water and make the treatment less effective. I am soaking their food, so I haven't removed anything.

Thanks. I think most filters are carbon based. Our new ones don't have a whole lot, but they still have carbon.

Back
Top Bottom