MH Bulb Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IndyReefMan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been using 2 x 150 watt HQI 20,000K bulbs manufactured by Coralife on my reef tank for about one year now. It's about time to replace them. I really like the blue spectrum that they emit but I'm thinking I might like to change to something with more intensity (while staying with 150 watt). I'll probably go with a 13,000K or 14,000K bulb this time. Anyone have any recommendations? Again, I want to stay with 150 watt, something that has a blue tint, but strong intensity.

Unless you do a ballast swapout your gonna have to stay at 150W.

Yes, I know that. I want to stay with 150W. My question is-- does anyone have any recommendations on a 13,000K or 14,000K bulb that they have used (or know someone that has used) that is of particularly strong intensity, while still maintaining a nice, blue spectral output. I'm looking for a manufacturers name that some AA member has been particularly satisfied with.

I use the CV 14K on my 250w MH's. I think it offers blue/white spectrum nicely. I picked them up on the net for $51.00 each.

Mike

Yes 14k is your next best option. I have 14k 250w mogul bulbs now and I am converting to 250w HQI 14k bulbs. I was warned by two different people that the 14k HQI bulbs will not have the same blue tint as the mogul 14k I have now. They said although it will be true 14k light, to the naked eye it loses it's blue hugh. Not sure why but it would be something to consider in choosing since you like the blue.

I don't know for sure if Aqualine Buschke has HQI bulbs, but my 10K from them (which in fact is a 13-14K bulb) are the best ones I have used and are great for coral growth.

Back
Top Bottom