MH Wattage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RLG2182

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Considering MH lights for my 60. What's the difference between the 10K, 14K, 20K bulbs? I heard the 20K's emit more blue light kinda like an 03 Actinic and should be used for "deep sea" applications? New to MH, any advice is welcomed.

Just looking to get some clams, etc. TIA

~~Rob

We have fans! :D

So yeah... definitely infinite applications for MH I suppose... not sure if we can really get a "this is best for this application" kind of answer... but will take any info. :mrgreen:

Someone else can go into farther detail but the higher the number the bluer the light. Anything under 14000k will need actinic lighting to go along with them from my research. The bulbs I have personally seen over 12000 were to blue looking for me and i went with 10000k and actinic lighting. Also by going this way you can run the vho's before and after you run the mh for a kind of dawn and duck effect.

10K is generally white and 14K looks like 10K with actinics., 20K tends to look like a tank full of windex. Although some 20K's like the coralvue are whiter than others. Me personally i like the 14K's.

And you don't need Actinics with 14K's?

Nope. I use my 14K with and without the actinics. The only reason I use the actinics from my retro Corallife is to simulate the dusk to dawn effect. To me, the 14K lights offer some of the best coloring. I love the blue tones, but as Darin pointed out, some 20K bulbs offer way too much blue.

Mike

The kelvin temperature rating is a reference of color in comparison to the sun. 6500K is (I believe) is closely related to the sun, in color. Anything over that also includes the lower kelvin temperatures but incorperates more colors. Basically anything over 6500K is for reef purposes and then becomes primarily preference, or your favorite color. However, the Iwasaki 6500K is supposed to be the best bulb available for growth though very orange-yellow in color.

Like others above the 14K is my favorite.

HTH,
R

Back
Top Bottom