Might be a stupid question but would like an accurate answer..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacobsal91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i have a 12g nano reef with some xienia, colony polyps, and blue
Mushroomss with a socal wrasse and a clown fish. I have been thinkin about this for lonths now and would LOVE seahorses.. Can i keep one in there with those creatures in there or do they have to be alone?? Anything you guys could tell me about seahorses would be totally awesome thank you!

Seahorses can't compete for food because they are slow and eat throughout the day. You would need a really large pod population and the parameters would have to be completely stable. They should be in a species only tank because of this. Some fish like pipefish, jawfish, mandarins (which eat the same food so not the best idea) are okay to be with seahorses.

Aside from food competition are seahorses ok to keep with those corals? Or should they br in a rock/plant only tank?

As long as the corals don't sting and won't cause harm to the seahorses. Well, most corals sting, but generally they should be okay. Macroalgae (marine plants) are used because that's a good place for pods to grow.

Ah i see, well my corals havea slight stin to them, My yellow colony polyps would be the only concern of mine.. And thats the ony coral i have that im not willing to part with lol

image-3276173633.jpg

I really only recommend keeping horses if you have a lot of sw experience, free time, and money. BUT to address these questions specifically, the horses would be incompatible with most fish, and would starve.
A 12 gallon is far too small for anything other than dwarf seahorses which are the hardest to keep. It is also, incidentally, too small for either of your fish, especially both.
The corals would most likely be ok, though gorgonians and tree corals are the best for anchors. Still, marine plants and macro algae (not the same things) are far superior as hitches. Long story short, seahorses require their own dedicated setup, and very specific care. If you can provide these, then they are wicked cool. But the tank you described will not work.

Oh sorry didn't know they were classified as being different. What sets them apart? Thanks for correcting me :).

It's a question of complexity. Both algae and plants contain chloroplasts, but plants are far more complex organisms. Plants contain specialized tissue for transporting nutrients, reproduction, photosynthesis, rooting, structure, etc. in algae, even large and seemingly complicated algae such as giant kelp, these specialize structures are largely lacking. Some macro algae may have holdfasts, which act like roots, but the anchoring is where the similarity ends. The primary difference is vascular tissue. Plants can transport water and nutrients throughout the entire organism. Algae cannot. Care requirements are also different. Marine plants are very sensitive and most require a very deep sand bed which is never disturbed. Some reading on sea grass aquariums should expand on this. It's something I'd like to try in my next refugium.

Innate curiosity, college level biology, and google. Lol
I also thought macro algae were plants once. But when in doubt, just do some research. I think I was researching every possible aspect of my tank before I had even found a place in my living room.

Back
Top Bottom