Might be in the wrong area...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starchar

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have been reading for some time about the positive physical and mental health aspects to having an aquarium. I certainly enjoy mine both at home and at the office. I run a juvenile detention center in Florida and would love to study the impact of saltwater aquariums on the behavior of juveniles. Like any facility for youth having delinquency issues we have our share of aggression and fights. Not many but some. I would love to see if by placing a saltwater aquarium and have youth help to take care of it if we would see decreases in negative behaviors.

Does anyone know of any organizations that may be willing to sponsor/donate the equipment to run such a study? Nothing elaborate of course. I don't want to offend any of the freshwater hobbyists out there but there is something very appealing and exotic about saltwater tanks that draw in kids.

As I stated in my title perhaps this is the wrong place for this thread. If so, thank you moderators for moving me in the right direction. :)

I am a supervisor at a juvenile facility and this is very interesting. Being in florida, there would be a much greater chance of you having such a program...the best bet would be to contact the agency(ies) that do programs involving therapy dogs. They would be your best bet towards information about theraputic aquarium setups along with the possibility of knowing about donations/aid.

If there is anything else that I can be of assistance with, feel free to PM me.

Thank you for the response Sniperhawk! I have been researching this for some time now and the science is sound. Since I work for the State there is no funding for this type of project. The box pet stores are tied up with other fundraising efforts and smaller pet stores just cant afford to contribute equipment. I will look into some of the options you suggested.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom