Might get a new 55gallon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You just need to be ready to separate the rams if need be but they will leave the other fish alone. I had shrimp with mine before and they left those alone as well

You just need to be ready to separate the rams if need be but they will leave the other fish alone. I had shrimp with mine before and they left those alone as well

I don't have another tank (except a 10 gallon with guppies) to put them in. Wouldn't a 10 gallon be too small? Especially with like 10 other fish in it? I have a 130 gallon that has gouramis and a bunch of tetras, live bearers and rasboras in it... Would they be ok in that tank? I wouldn't be able to seperate them if I had 3 it 4... That's why I asked if one would be fine by itself.

I have a 55g myself. It's a community tank that has a 1 BN pleco, 7 cories and a raphael cat,, 2 SAE's, 11 barbs and 5 rainbow fish and a 2 platies. I honestly regret not going with all cichlids in my 55g. While I love my community tank I am always drawn to the cichlids in LFS.

I'm really liking tiger barbs right now... I know they can be nippy, but I would probably get 9 or 12... Maybe some other schooling fish and a couple of bottom feeders/algae eaters as well... What do you think?
Edit: then again, I still really like the cichlid idea... or other "big" fish idea... LOL

If you like tiger barbs and are worried about nipping, check out black ruby barbs. As juvenilles they look identical to tiger barbs but as they get settled into your tank and get older they turn a gorgeous deep red. I have 11 and LOVE mine.

Yes they are good with other fish. I love rams. I would put 2 males and 3 females together in the 55 and let them pair up. Then return the odd female or just keep a pair and return the rest. They like the bottom part of the tank so you'll want some mid or top water fish to go in the tank if your putting other fish in.

+1 to this. I have 2 Bolivian rams and LOVE them! I wish mine would pair up and breed!

Well maybe I'll do that... If I have a way to separate them... Would one fight with a gourami? How do you know when they're paired up?

If you like tiger barbs and are worried about nipping, check out black ruby barbs. As juvenilles they look identical to tiger barbs but as they get settled into your tank and get older they turn a gorgeous deep red. I have 11 and LOVE mine.

Okay. Might do that. :) they're not nippy?

How many fish do you think I could start with after the tank is cycled?

Okay. Might do that. :) they're not nippy?

Mine are rarely nippy, and I mean rarely. I noticed a couple of mine nipping at each other a few days ago, and that was the first time I have seen them do that in the almost 3 months I've had them. If they ever are its within their own school, they do not bother anyone else! They are super active! They chase each other on occasion, but again, only within the school and they don't bother anyone at all. They add so much to my tank, it seems like they never stop moving, ever! They are definitely and entertaining fish to watch!

Don't remember reading if your doing a fishless or fish in cycle (if I missed that my apologies!)? If you haven't decided yet its really all in what you have time for. If you have the time to devote to water changes and are impatient and want fish right away, again I really stress this part: IF YOU HAVE THE TIME, because fish in cycles require water changes based on your water params. Or if your one that has patience and can wait a few weeks for a fishless cycle the advantage to it is that you will build a biological filter like a train and once your cycled you can add full stock right away. I'm not all that familiar with fishless cycling as I haven't done it myself, but I do have a general idea of it. Fish in cycling however I personally went through and can elaborate on it if you need me too. Just let me know and I'll help all I can!

Edited: about the fishless cycle I shouldn't have said a few weeks, usually it's faster than fish in cycling though. Personally my fish in cycle on a 10g took 8 weeks and a few days give or take. Regardless of which way you choose to go cycling wise (fish in or fishless), live plants as well as any seeded filter media you can get your hands on (whether it be from LFS or someone you know) will help your cycle along nicely.

Mine are rarely nippy, and I mean rarely. I noticed a couple of mine nipping at each other a few days ago, and that was the first time I have seen them do that in the almost 3 months I've had them. If they ever are its within their own school, they do not bother anyone else! They are super active! They chase each other on occasion, but again, only within the school and they don't bother anyone at all. They add so much to my tank, it seems like they never stop moving, ever! They are definitely and entertaining fish to watch!

kinda like zebra danios... I had some that NEVER stopped moving! Lol I'll look them up for sure. I hope my lfs has them!

Don't remember reading if your doing a fishless or fish in cycle (if I missed that my apologies!)? If you haven't decided yet its really all in what you have time for. If you have the time to devote to water changes and are impatient and want fish right away, again I really stress this part: IF YOU HAVE THE TIME, because fish in cycles require water changes based on your water params. Or if your one that has patience and can wait a few weeks for a fishless cycle the advantage to it is that you will build a biological filter like a train and once your cycled you can add full stock right away. I'm not all that familiar with fishless cycling as I haven't done it myself, but I do have a general idea of it. Fish in cycling however I personally went through and can elaborate on it if you need me too. Just let me know and I'll help all I can!

Edited: about the fishless cycle I shouldn't have said a few weeks, usually it's faster than fish in cycling though. Personally my fish in cycle on a 10g took 8 weeks and a few days give or take. Regardless of which way you choose to go cycling wise (fish in or fishless), live plants as well as any seeded filter media you can get your hands on (whether it be from LFS or someone you know) will help your cycle along nicely.

I am going to do a fish less cycle this time. It'll be my first time. I don't mind waiting to add fish. Thanks for the info. :)

Ok. I think I got this idea pretty much together now...

Stock:
2 German blue rams
9 harlequin rasboras
9 tiger barbs (think that'd be ok?)
5 or 6 shrimp (not sure what kind yet)

Decorations:
Some flat rocks (not sure how much yet)
Lots of fake green plants
Maybe a couple of real plants
A cave OR some rocks to make a cave
A big piece of driftwood

I might just go to the lfs and replace the tiger barbs and harlequin rasboras with whatever small schooling fish look cool. Or get less harlequin rasboras and some black ruby barbs OR tiger barbs and get some of whatever little schooling fish look cool :)

kinda like zebra danios... I had some that NEVER stopped moving! Lol I'll look them up for sure. I hope my lfs has them!

As long as its a privately owned store and not a chain store like petsmart or petco, they should be able to order them for you if they don't have them. Doesn't hurt to ask :)

As long as its a privately owned store and not a chain store like petsmart or petco, they should be able to order them for you if they don't have them. Doesn't hurt to ask :)

There's a big al's and a ruffins. Big Al's might have them

Btw, does anyone know if german blue rams need live plants? I read that online but I wasn't sure if it's true or not...

Once I get the new tank, my four guppies will go in there and this will be my bettas new tank all to himself :)

Attachments

• image-1422727594.jpg
    image-1422727594.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 46
Btw, does anyone know if german blue rams need live plants? I read that online but I wasn't sure if it's true or not...

Live plants are always a plus, an once you get one live plant you won't look back (atleast I didn't!)! I can't say for sure if they have to have them, but my reasoning for it would be that the plants would help absorb some of the nitrates and rams are sensitive to nitrates. Again not sure on if that's the reason, but I do know for sure rams are sensitive to nitrates though.

Back
Top Bottom