Mike's 30 gal Rimless Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MKFMedic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi.

Here are some pictures of my recently started 30 gal Rimless build. It's a Innovative Marine Tank, with LED lighting. This was transition for me from a much smaller 12 gal nano! All inhabitants and coral came from the 12 gal and seem much, much happier!
44044-albums2750-picture17988.jpg

44044-albums2750-picture17987.jpg

44044-albums2750-picture17984.jpg

44044-albums2750-picture17985.jpg

44044-albums2750-picture17986.jpg

Thanks Everyone.

Jason - The light is made by Innovative Marine. It is their 30w 14K model. It consists of 28 white (1 watt) LED's and 2 Blue (1 watt) LED's. They make a couple of smaller models and also a 92 watt model. It cannot be dimmed, but I do see a huge improvement over my previous compact florescents.

Nice to see someone not trying to jam 6-7 fish in a 30 gallon. Tank looks great, very clean. Kyle

Thanks Kyle!

I am going to add one more fish, but something like a three stripe cardinal, or yellow goby, so I'll have a total of 4 fish in the tank. Eventually, I'd like to try to add a couple frags of LPS. My big project over the next week is to install my new tank controller system, and possibly an auto top-off.

I just know that down the line, if I can convince my wife, I'll be expanding to a larger tank!

Happy Holidays!

Thanks Everyone for your very kind comments! I've actually gone a little loco over the past couple of days and spent some more money on the tank. I've installed a controller and configured so I can access control and status from anywhere I have internet access and will be replacing my nano Koralia's with an ecotech mp10 pump. I'm also strongly considering an ATO! My goal is to make my tank as worry free as possible while I am away for extended periods for work.

I added a small frag of finger leather today! After the transition to the larger tank from the Nano, I am finally seeing some brown algae against the glass, under the sand line. I tested the water and found that my Nitrates are finally coming down a bit, so I'm hoping to be going in the right direction:

pH 8.0
nitrites 0
Am 0
nitrates 5

My ultimate goal for this tank after getting everything dialed in to the best of my ability are to add a clam and possibly an anemone for my clown (I know there is no guarantee that it will host). Of course, as is probably all of our goals, I'd like to eventually upgrade to a larger tank!

Best Regards and thanks again!

Mike

Oh my Gosh. O.K., so I've been saving for this tank for a while and I've gone a little crazy spending money like a drunken sailor, but I just have to share what I believe is my single best purchase to date!

I purchased an ECOTECH MP10 and took out the two 425gpm Nanos (Brand New Condition if anyone is interested) and Wow!, what an immediate difference in my tank. The sheer volume of water moved by the Ecotech is amazing, not to mention the programming or variable speed options.

I originally thought I might keep one of the 425gpm Nano's in the tank to supplement the Ecotech, but it is just not necessary. There really is a huge difference in the the strength, size and volume of water stream created by this pump and the two Nano's. To say the least I am very pleased with this purchase.

I'll be playing with the programming, currently on a moderate/medium pulse which my fish seem to be really enjoying (They are more active than I have ever seen), I'll keep you updated on my thoughts with this pump! Finally, it was an expensive purchase, but, with the space it opened up in my tank by allowing me to remove the two nano's, and the immediate positive reaction of my fish, I think this purchase may be very well worth the investment. I'll be interested to see how the tank as a whole adjusts and will keep everyone updated!

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

Mike

Wow, that vortech sounds great! I was hoping to get one for my upcoming 60g cube so I will for sure take your review into account, you may have pushed me over to the definitely "buy" side. lol

Carey,

I can't tell how pleased I am! I'm just loving this thing and the random, powerful flow it is creating. When I first turned it on, the instructions tell you to have it on full so that you can line up the power unit on the outside with the inside element and you wouldn't believe the amount of sand it kicked up and that's from its installed position towards the top of the tank. I couldn't stir up that amount of sand with one of the Nano's if I was pointing it at the sand bed from four inches.

Rather than always being on, it seems to create a randomness that the fish and corals, so far, are enjoying while still moving a greater amount of water per hour. I'll keep everyone up to date!

Mike

Please do keep the updates coming! I'm figuring on maybe getting one after christmas, I'd like the mp40 for my 125g but not sure I can swing over $400! LOL

Installed an ATO today and hooked it up to my controller. What a great addition, and no more bubbles in the tank from allowing the water level to go to low. For now, I have the pump placed in my 5 gal RO/DI Container. Since this tank is my office, I'd like to find a way to creatively hide the container, maybe build a box of some sort to disguise the container, while still giving me easy access. Anyone have suggestions for creatively disguising your refill? By the way, the tank is sitting on a low chest of drawers, so I don't have any empty space underneath.

I drilled the top of the cap off and ran the tubing through the hole so that I can just remove the cap, which will lift out the pump, and remove the container when I need to do refills. Rather than leave the top open, I think it will reduce evaporation from the container, help to contain splashing water when full, and helps keep the pump in an upright position!

Diatoms have come and are nearly gone, so I'll just keep doing my normal water changes and maintenance and look forward to a having a fairly worry-free and stable tank.

I love the automation, not so much that my tank is complicated, but for the pure fact that if I'm away for two or three days, I know that the basics can be done and monitored with only daily feeding needing to be done by the family.

Once I get all the wires managed, I'll take some more photo's to share my set-up!

Mike

So a little updating on my 30 gallon rimless tank build.

I've added a Hydor Slim Skim to the tank. To accomplish this, I had to remove 1 of two media racks (One on each side), so well see if that has a detrimental effect. I don't think it will and I took my old Stevie T rack which fits in the chamber right next to the protein skimmer. It fits pretty darn perfectly with the water from the spillover water going directly into the spill chamber of my protein skimmer, then flows out of the bottom, then up through the Stevie T rack holding Chem-Pure & Purigen, the overflows into the middle pump chamber.

Nothing too Gunky coming from the Protein Skimmer, but there is some foam action and definite discoloration, so something is getting skimmed. What I have observed is the skimmer is very quiet! Hopefully, it will provide good service and help with maintaining my small tank!

On the other side, the water spill directly into the original media rack with floss, more purigen and chem-pure!

My latest water measurements:

pH 8.0
Am 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 5

I've added an elegance coral, which I think is doing well? My little peppermint shrimp got into a fight with my ecotech pump, and well, lost. I cleaned him out of the pump this morning and will be making a trip to the LFS for a replacement.

My fish are all doing well, but I do have to say that my Royal Gamma is a bit of a bully. He doesn't seem to bother the other fish, but he swims around and knocks hermits down of the rock work. I know he's probably being territorial, but its something to see.

My coco worm lost his feathers. :( I've done some reading, and it could be from stress, sudden changes in tank conditions, which I have ruled out, or any number of other causes. It's definitely still alive and comes right up to the edge of the tube, retracts quickly if approached, but I hope he grows his red and white dusters back! I'm squirting some liquid plankton his way occasionally and hoping for the best! Anyone have any experience with this?

All in all, everything is going well, the tank inhabitants are happy and seem healthy. I hope the same for all of you and wish you the very best in the coming year!

Best Regards,

Mike

Back
Top Bottom