milky white stuff on tank wallsand now dead fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crittergal

Aquarium Advice Regular
I put up a 55gal tank almost 4 months ago now and my tank is finally clearing and I can now see through the water. I have never had this kind of water trouble before. I filled my tank (tap water) at the beginning of the month and knowing my angels would die in that water I filled a smaller tank to hold them in. well w/o thinking I used the same tap water and that water only took 2 days or so to be real clear (I filled tank like 1/2 full w/ tap and the guy I bought angels from filled a 5 gal bucket w/ his tank water and I only lost one angel.Anyways I started my big tank w/ cycle bateria and added 2 cheep starter fish ,one jumped the tank and other was ok up until just 5 days ago . I added 2 dwarf gourami's after 3 months and all went well until about 5 days ago when starter fish and gouramis all died w/in a few days of each other. I noticed I STILL have a slim like gunk on the sides of tank and white around filters (back filters) 450 emperor and 1 cheep walmart filter. I filled tank and the whole bottom was white! and that was b/4 I added my pool sand, my filter cartridges were white also after only a few days so I rinsed them off and ran a magnum for another 2 months . I finally called marineland and they told me to do a water change for 4 days straight and I did but this time I hauled spring water. My levels as of today are amm=0 nitrites=0 ph =7.6 and have been holding that for about 1 1/2-2 weeks now So my question is why did my fish die after all this time and levels are or seem to be ok? I am afraid to put my angels in it. 2nd question do you think I might have calcium in my water which is why I have the gunk on the walls of my tank? I scrape it off w/ scraper just about ever couple days its like in spots not total on all glass. and what can I do ?? I am baffled Sorry this is reading like a book, just trying to get out as much info as possible to you all cause I really need some advice. thank you

Back
Top Bottom