Milwaukee or Aquatek

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdfox

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys. Looking for advice. Making the move to pressurized CO2 after DIYing it for a bit. Planning to start via the paintball tank route. The Milwaukee reg or the Aquatek reg? Only a $2 difference on Amazon. I've read past threads that mentioned both. Hoping that you kids could help me decide which way to go, or if there is a different setup I should consider.

Thanks for any advice or opinions!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DTNWF2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1BNS86D4V4GO1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008TJCPSY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A34950EJPC3UHN

38g heavily planted
Finnex planted+ 24/7 on the way!

I'd go with the full size regulator due to your tank's size/volume. Paintball is okay, but full size with 5# or 10# co2 tank will be more economical.

Last edited:
Thanks Brian. I was thinking that I don't have the room for a full size with where/how my setup is. But looking at it more, I guess the 5# cylinders aren't too big and intrusive. So if I went forward with that, anything special I need? Would a regular inert gas reg work and get the pressure down low enough? Or am I looking for something different?

Thanks again

I'd go with a regulator specific to CO2. I'm not sure what you mean about an inert gas reg. O2? Anyways, Aquatek also makes a full-sized one with an adjustable working pressure. Aquatek and Milwaukee are good entry-level. But if you have extra dough to spend, I'd get a GLA regulator. Really good quality from a great company.

Ok. Sorry, I work in industrial maintenance engineering, and I have to order my welders' regs (for argon) from time to time, and those regs are for any inert gases i.e. Argon, co2, nitrogen.

What kind of pressure am I looking for at the output to provide a viable bubble count without gassing my fishies?

Anyways, I have a local welding supply company that I'm going to visit tomorrow and see about a 5# (or is there a better value or grade somewhere else?).

Thanks for your input. It is GREATLY appreciated. I hope to learn from you and the other experts here and maybe I can help a newcomer down the road.

I have an aquatek and don't like it at all. It's soooo sensitive which makes it really hard to finely tune the flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

CO2Art in the UK makes very good regs (according to the people at the Planted Tank forum) and they are really well priced.

Thanks for the input guys! Can anyone tell me what outlet psi I would be looking for, or a bubble count? Given my professional position, I have access to certain items of this type, but unsure of what my end co2 production needs to be. Thanks

I'm not an expert with working pressure, as I don't have the adjustable regulator type. I actually have the aquatek mini on a couple of tanks, 26g being the largest. I believe the output working pressure is preset within the range from 55 to 65 PSI. So I think this should be a good range. The bubble counter is usually set to about 2 to 3bps.

My working pressure is set to around 35-40 psi. Bubble counter is 5+ bps. I just rely on my drop checker and fish to show when it's too much co2.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I keep my working pressure around 15 psi. I find having a higher working pressure is to hard to regulate accurately. So it really depends on how fine your needle valve is. I built my setup from a Harris CO2 regulator from a welding supply shop and added clippard parts and solenoid.

9826-albums7424-picture36664.jpg

Thanks guys! I'm still mulling over what I'll end up doing, but I have a much clearer picture now.

Brian- how do you like the aquateks? Any issues?

Rkilling- thanks for the picture, that helps my visual self tons. Is that a secondary outlet with a flow control on your setup? What is that for, a second tank?
Also, I assume the solenoid is ran by a timer. Correct?

My Aquatek minis are good value for what they are. I have limited space, so paintball suits my needs. My only complaint is that the needle valve is not accurate and I have to adjust it periodically. So it's not 100% set it and forget it. Lastly, the included plastic bubble counter is mediocre at best. 2 of 3 of them started leaking co2 on me, resulting in low output from my diffusers. But the unit itself is pretty durable and decent quality for the price. I've had mine for almost a few years now without major issue.

Rkilling- thanks for the picture, that helps my visual self tons. Is that a secondary outlet with a flow control on your setup? What is that for, a second tank?
Also, I assume the solenoid is ran by a timer. Correct?

Yep and yep. Just past the solenoid I have a brass T with two needle valves to run to two different tanks.

The solenoid is on a timer that also starts my CO2 reactor. This is 30 minutes before the main lights turn on and the lunar lamps turn off.

Rkilling- Thanks for the link. Very informative. Does the list of parts you posted in that thread still hold true? Or have you learned of anything different/better than that original parts list?

Brian- thanks for the input on the Aquatek. Looking at the Amazon comments, it seems that more than a few people have had serious issues with the Milwaukee reg

Rkilling- Thanks for the link. Very informative. Does the list of parts you posted in that thread still hold true? Or have you learned of anything different/better than that original parts list?

Those are still the same and still being used today after almost 9 years of daily use. Don't know if all the links work, but I tried the link for the solenoid and it worked. Just note that shipping is outrageous from them and you should look for a local clippard retailor if you choose clippard parts.

EDIT: They only link that doesn't work is for the CO2 tubing. Here is the updated link: http://www.clippard.com/part/URH1-0804-BKS-050

I'd get one from Green Leaf Aquariums. They might be a little more expensive, but they are worth it in the long run.

I have the Aquatek paintball regulator and it worked for a year, then started going on the fritz. When I e-mailed the company I basically got a short ' Your on your own' email back. That made me not want to buy from them again.......... apparently I'm not the only one that has has terrible customer service from them. Not a direct answer to your question, but something to think about...

Jim

I've been using an AquaTek premium regulator for over a year and it's been working fine (knock on DW) but the fine needle adjustment is very touchy. Can be a pain in the butt at times.
If you can afford it, go with the GLA brand. I've heard nothing but good feedback on them.

Back
Top Bottom