Mineral deposit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I was doing my pwc and I noticed there were white round spots on the glass. It feels like a mineral deposit. I scrubbed some with my nails and it was a little bit hard to remove. Is it a bad thing? Thanks.

It's probably calcium. City water has calcium in it and it can build up and collect like that.

No harm, get a razor blade (if you have a glass tank) and it'll scrap right off.

neilanh said:
It's probably calcium. City water has calcium in it and it can build up and collect like that.

No harm, get a razor blade (if you have a glass tank) and it'll scrap right off.

Ok. I'm not sure if I have glass or acrylic though. How can you tell?

Glass is heavier and most times thicker. Acrylic is more lighter and it is very easy to scratch.

tyspot1000 said:
Glass is heavier and most times thicker. Acrylic is more lighter and it is very easy to scratch.

I have a 125 and 2 people can carry it. Not that heavy. I think the glass thickness is 1/3".

Acrylic feels like a plastic, where glass is... glass. You should be able to tell the difference by looking/thumping it.

neilanh said:
Acrylic feels like a plastic, where glass is... glass. You should be able to tell the difference by looking/thumping it.

I have glass then :)

Back
Top Bottom