Mini-cycle questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jgeezer1986

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok now that i know better what is going on inside my tank , this is all kinda starting to worry me. My tank was completely cycled.. ammonia and nitrites were both at 0. I cleaned my filters and sent it into a mini-cycle. Its been 10 day and the ammonia level stays at .50. Cant get it down , but it does not go up. (just used the water in the bucket i took out of the tank. No tap water to clean and i use stress coat every time i do a pwc to dechlorinate)

First three days or so , did a 30-40% water change every day. The ammonia would drop to .25 but by morning it was back up to .50 again. I let it go for a week then testing it every day and it never goes above .50, but wont go below.

I know its only been ten days , but something just dont seem right here.. Still dont have any nitrites what so ever. I would think that if i was previously fully cycled , there would be some trace of nitrites. If the ammonia does not go up, it has to be going somewhere.

The only thing i add to the water is stress coat when i to pwc's. Thats it. Any help?

Are you seeing any nitrates? Sometimes the nitrites will get converted straight into nitrates, and then the only thing I could say is to just keep up with the water changes and keep an eye on the levels like you have been doing. I don't know what the success rate is of those ammonia reducing products or if you should try them, but just a thought. Good luck !

Back
Top Bottom