Mini Cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WBAC88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Recently, the water in my 65g began to grow cloudy. I did some searching on the forums and saw people mentioning mini cycles that can happen even after the tank has been up and running for a while. Also, because of a recent bacterial infection, I did a major water change and cleaned out my filter a little bit more that I should have, maybe. Is this a major danger for my tank? I've been testing the water and no spikes so far, but besides doing PWCs to keep the numbers down, is there anything that I can do to help the process along?

Your doing the right thing (daily testing & pwcs to keep levels down)! There isnt a whole lot that can be done besides this and some patience, unfortunately. The balance of bacteria in our little ecosystems can be upset quite easily!

So what exactly is causing the cloudy water? I assume a bacterial overgrowth of some kind, but what got thrown out of whack to cause it?

Unless your tank is over-stocked or under-filtered, im pretty sure the cloudiness is just the result of your tank cycling again (from the over zealous cleaning) and its in the process of re-establishing its bacterial colonies. And the answer is the same: time & pwcs.

Perfect, as long as the fish aren't in any danger. Thanks for the help, jlk.

Back
Top Bottom