Mini cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquariumboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I think my aquarium is going through a mini cycle because I was moving plants and gravel a lot and now the water has been milky white for 4-5 days. How long should a mini cycle last?

Sent from my LG-P659 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's a picture

Attachments

• 1406430904365.jpg
    1406430904365.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 63
I've had a mini cycle for 2 and a bit weeks. Have you checked ph to make sure it isn't too low? I was getting cloudy water after a water change for a day or so and eventually realised ph/kh was too low.

I've had a mini cycle for 2 and a bit weeks. Have you checked ph to make sure it isn't too low? I was getting cloudy water after a water change for a day or so and eventually realised ph/kh was too low.

Yes my test kit shows my ph is 6.0

Yes my test kit shows my ph is 6.0

Carbonate is used as part of the aquarium cycle which will lower ph/kh. At a ph below 6.5 the bacteria slow down and at 6 they get dormant. So at 6 I'd say your bacteria are not being effective.

Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is a quick fix but can change ph very quickly so you don't need much. Crushed coral or cuttlebone (calcium carbonate) in the filter is a more natural, long term fix and works well at a ph below 7. I have some crushed shells in mine as backup.

If you check tap water (let stand for 24hrs to degas, etc) you will get base ph and in a lot of cases, just increasing water changes will fix tank ph if your tap ph is above 7.

In my case over summer tap ph is naturally lower plus warmer tank plus larger fish meant my ph was dropping quite a bit.

Edit - just jumped on the desktop and below is a good article on heter. bacteria.

http://www.oscarfish.com/article-home/water/72-heterotrophic-bacteria.html

Last edited:
Carbonate is used as part of the aquarium cycle which will lower ph/kh. At a ph below 6.5 the bacteria slow down and at 6 they get dormant. So at 6 I'd say your bacteria are not being effective.

Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is a quick fix but can change ph very quickly so you don't need much. Crushed coral or cuttlebone (calcium carbonate) in the filter is a more natural, long term fix and works well at a ph below 7. I have some crushed shells in mine as backup.

If you check tap water (let stand for 24hrs to degas, etc) you will get base ph and in a lot of cases, just increasing water changes will fix tank ph if your tap ph is above 7.

In my case over summer tap ph is naturally lower plus warmer tank plus larger fish meant my ph was dropping quite a bit.

Edit - just jumped on the desktop and below is a good article on heter. bacteria.

http://www.oscarfish.com/article-home/water/72-heterotrophic-bacteria.html

So can daily 30% wc help my ph go up?

It should but need to test tap water that you use for water changes and get the ph value. I'd draw a bucket of water and test straight away, then let it stand for 24 hrs to get true ph after it de-pressurises, etc. Also you don't want to change tank water specs too quickly.

Back
Top Bottom