Mini fishes for a 7 gallon community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dobby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a new 7 gallon tank - can anyone suggest any small fish that could form a mini community in my 7gal? The more colourful the better - I wanted to keep dwarf cichlids or killis, but I don't think i could keep more than a pair in a 7gal?

Or is this a tall order? :oops:

7 gallon tank would be a bit cramped even for most dwarf cichlids.
I second the idea of tetras (neon, glolight, cardinal) and zebra danios and would also suggest a pair of corys or a few shrimp.

yeah i guess thats an idea - i was looking more for unusual fish though, maybe a brackish tank with bumblebee gobies..and..? they're so cute!! 8) :D

i guess the unusual fishes are usually not amenable to community set-ups - unless anyone can suggest otherwise?

brackish tank with bumblebee gobies
The only problem with the small tank is it's harder to keep the water parameters in check. Personally, I love bb gobies.
In this profile, they suggest a minimum of 30 gals:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=978

IMHO, 30 gals seems a bit much. I have a 20 gal waiting for bb gobies--if I can find healthy ones in my area.

You could keep a pair of Badis badis:
http://aquaworld.netfirms.com/Other/Badis/Badis_badis_badis.htm
I have 4 in a 10 gal hex. They have great behaviors and are "distant cousins" to the betta.

yeah but the live aquaria says everything has to be in 30 gallons dont they?
Does it? I hadn't noticed. I just know for a brackish tank, I would go bigger than 7 gals to keep it stablized.

thats true but it said 30 for everything or almost everything haha. but i guess thats cautionary. personally id keep the 7 freshwater. yeah menagerie's right. itll be harder to stabilise.

i just checked a couple of them and most of them are 10+. but most of the fish like are 30 gallons. i havent seen any under 10. i think the most common numbers are 10, 30, and 50

K101,

If your looking for something different you may want to consider Clown Killies (Epiplatys annulatus). A very small peaceful fish well suited for a smaller tank. I like Menagerie's idea in regards to Badis badis. I have several of these too and they are well suited for 7-gallon tank.

Best regards,

William

oh i know where i saw those. my lfs sells them as feeder guppies.

Feeder guppies often look JUST like Endler's until they grow up a bit. I was all excited once because I thought I bought some Endlers from the Feeder tank, then they got all ugly :p

thanks cginflorida! and its 'that dobby GAL'! :wink:
williambanik - i LUrvE the clown killies - thats just the kind of thing i was thinking about - tetras, endlers, etc, i have them in my 40gal, but i was looking for something unusual to keep on my desk that would look mucho cool - i think i've found it!

So WBanik have you kept these before?

badis badis look pretty cool too, but again i have female bettas that look similar :roll: :D

as for frogs... :oops: i'm scared of frogs... 8O

I had the most gorgeous female betta once, but it was so much bigger than my little Badis.
Killies look like fun--post pics when you get the tank set up!

Hey all you newbies--post in the Welcome Wagon in the Community forum, so we can give you the proper AA welcome!

Dobby,

No need to get formal, just address me as William, and yes I currently have a 5 gallon mini-bow on my desk with 1 male and 2 female Clown Killies. I've kept them for almost two years now. I have found the fish easy to care for in my mini tank, as the bioload is kept to a minimum. The Clown Killie is a very interesting and docile fish, perfect for a small tank like you have.

I have a small piece of driftwood with Java Fern in my tank to provide shelter and initially I had to adjust the intake of the built in filter as the flow was too fast in the max position.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

William, glancing at my 5-gallon mini-bow as I type! ;-)

Back
Top Bottom