Mini fishes for a 7 gallon community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Menagerie,

I can, once my cheapskate brother gets back from his vacation and returns my digital camera. ;-) I never thought anyone would want a visual reference of my mini-bow tank.

Best regards,

William

ok - william it is! I was actually reading up on killis on the aka website (american killifish assoc) and other places and i was getting the impression that you can keep 3-4 pairs of killis in a 5 gallon !! 8O it seems a bit much, but i guess they are pretty slim bodied fish - and apparently a pair would be fine in a 1-2.5 gal..

and some killis can be kept in cooler water too, dispensing with the need for a heater..
well i have a 7 gal, so i may start out with a trio or 2 pairs - i love the clown killies, but i think i'll have a hard time getting any here - in fact i've never seen any killies in the lfs around here - did you have to look hard to get yours? :D

Dobby,

I always under stock my tanks so take that into consideration when you read my posts. I personally wouldn't keep 3-to-4 pairs in a five-gallon, rather keep 1 male and two females and add two or three small cories for a clean up crew. The Clown Killifish likes to hang around the top of the tank and having 3-to-4 pairs would crowd that area of the tank IMHO. I add small cories to balance the visual aspect of the tank and clean up food that escapes the Clowns.

I have seen them in some mega pet stores like PetSmart before, but I got mine from A LFS. I'm heading there tomorrow and will ask where they get there stock from.

Best regards,

William

dobby said:
ok - william it is! I was actually reading up on killis on the aka website (american killifish assoc) and other places and i was getting the impression that you can keep 3-4 pairs of killis in a 5 gallon !! 8O it seems a bit much, but i guess they are pretty slim bodied fish - and apparently a pair would be fine in a 1-2.5 gal..

and some killis can be kept in cooler water too, dispensing with the need for a heater..
well i have a 7 gal, so i may start out with a trio or 2 pairs - i love the clown killies, but i think i'll have a hard time getting any here - in fact i've never seen any killies in the lfs around here - did you have to look hard to get yours? :D

The saltwater emporium outfit right down the street from me has rock, anemone and a pair of Percula Clowns in a 7 Gallon tank! 8O It looks like something best kept for a professional!

Holy cats! Posted in the wrong section!!!! Sorry, but it does sound amazing, doesnt it? :D

youronlysin said:
The saltwater emporium outfit right down the street from me has rock, anemone and a pair of Percula Clowns in a 7 Gallon tank! It looks like something best kept for a professional!
Kind of fits, we are discussing stocking issues :D

The 2.5, 5, 7, 10 and 12 gal acrylic tanks must be popular. See a lot of them at wallyworld and petsmart.
Does the small size make it harder to keep up with?
I would think water problems could get out of hand a lot faster then with a larger tank.

Chas,

IMH(umble)O smaller tanks are geared to a younger audience to sell product, supplies, and fish at a reasonable price but still pull dollars out of the wallet. This isn’t a knock on small tank applications rather on the mega stores that sell product only to make money and have no concern for the creatures entrusted to hobbyist care. It is too bad they use this approach as they turn off potential fish keepers, who often get frustrated and quit the hobby when the advice and tanks sold at the mega store fails. That said, you are most correct, it is much easier to keep a large tank where the water chemistry is much more stable, I keep several, but I really enjoy the challenge of maintaining small tanks.

Best regards,

William

Thanks.
So these small tanks are ok for someone with experience but not for the beginner.
I may get one later on. That is why I was in this thread. Please continue talking about fish combos for these tiny bio-worlds.

Regarding small tanks: I have several very small tanks...one gallon acrylic and even a little larger but, I only keep a single male betta in the One gallon tanks and I do have a hard time with keeping them right. The temp is uncontrollable without a heater and it WILL change in a matter of minutes(crappy lights built in)! The UGF is only SLIGHTLY effective, but it sure beats a cup of stagnant water! Overall, the Betta seem to like the small tanks, and instead of trying to upkeep them with gravel vac and cleaning, I just empty the whole darn thing, clean and refill with water from my big tanks. Just to keep them nice I do regular 50 percent water changes and refill with water from the big tanks. (already good water)

Heres what Ive come up against in the last few months. If you want a small tank, just do it properly the first time. Its a lot cheaper and you wont kill as many critters. I really really like the small acrylic tanks that come with the Eclipse hood that has the Flourescent light AND the bio-wheel filter built right in to them. I would think that would make a real nice tank setup. The small ones can be had for a decent price....I know I have over 100 bucks invested into one 10 Gallon tank and I got the tank, substrate, plants and hood for free! 8O With everything in the hood, they look great! A small heater might make those temp changes a bit less drastic, but its hard to find a small heater that fits in a 1 to 5 gallon tank that doesnt take up a lot of room or look obtrusive. You have to control it with the light.

Also be careful with the fish in a small tank. One fish in a tank is kind of boring (unless you have ten tanks!) but 7 fish just wont work well in a 1 gallon tank no matter what. (Yes, Ive commited crimes against fish in the past). Pay attention, in the very least, to the good old one inch rule and dont overstock your small tanks. It is so easy to do and the changes in bio-load cause drastic effects that appear in a matter of hours!!! Water parameters went from excellent to barely liveable in my ten gallon tank in less than 12 hours. (added too many fish at once).

If you already have a larger established tank, the smaller ones are a bit easier to upkeep cause you can use the water from the big one and change it often. Otherwise, your playing a game of chance. Good luck.

youronlysin - what do you mean by change water from the big tanks? So did you only use water from your big tanks to do water changes in your small tanks? What was the benefit of doing this? :D

Yes. The big tank is established and does not always need water changes like the small tanks do. The water I took from the big tanks is in great condition and the right temperature. I dont vacuum the gravel in the big tank then use that water, I just take some from the top. If I completely empty the small tanks to clean them and use all new water to fill, then I would have to re-cycle them and keep my fish out of the tank for a month or so. I take a couple of gallons from the big one and use a bit to rinse the gravel from the small one. Then I put it back together and fill it with the remaining water from the big tank.

The big tank is established and does not always need water changes like the small tanks do.
All tanks need regular water changes. It just seems more important in a smaller tank because bad things show up quicker :wink:

Dobby - I'm sure there is an aquarium club in london, maybe you could phone them up and ask if any of the members have killies. I have no problem finding rare fish in edmonton with all the clubs and auctions and stuff.

lucky you endgame!! afaik, unless i'm being kept out of the loop 8O ! we don't have many of that kind of thing in london - odd isn't it!?!? being a nation of animal lovers an all... :roll:

well i will keep my eyes peeled for 'em anyhooo

Great call about the killies, William, and great to see you aboard, too! :D

I was looking for some for my 5.5gal a while ago and did not find any, and wound up with Endler's. It is a lovely tank, with driftwood, heavy planting and CO2 but I now have too many Endler's. Menagerie has piqued my interest with the badis, since I recently saw one and have an empty 15gal.

Best of luck, dobby, and I would be very surprised if you did not have an aquarium club as well as a killie club in London. Definitely look into it, and let us know what you wind up doing. Wow! A 4-page thread!

Back
Top Bottom