Mini plant tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacobsal91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Found an old 5.5gal tank with a standard
Light hood and was thinking of getting some javamoss and driftwood with 3 cardinal tetras and a male betta. Unsure if the betta will do well but i plan on having a filter and heater. Any advice/input?

Three cardinals will do although I've had experiences where a tank too small may cause aggression. They can grow up to two inches and would appreciate a much bigger aquarium though. You could pull it off though, depending on how much swimming room there is despite the displacement because of the driftwood. Try looking into some nano fish like celestial pearl danios or shrimp (if you choose to have no betta).

Would the betta do ok with cardinals or neons or something tho? Or could i even do lots of
Live plants with only
A betta? Got my hands on a super nice half moon betta thats why im looking into a nice little set up for it, thought some small tank
Mates would be ok

Jacobsal91 said:
Would the betta do ok with cardinals or neons or something tho? Or could i even do lots of
Live plants with only
A betta? Got my hands on a super nice half moon betta thats why im looking into a nice little set up for it, thought some small tank
Mates would be ok

Some bettas dont like tankmates, some do. It depends on the betta. But if you were to choose another fish a micro fish would be the way to go. Neons are kinda big for such a small tank IMO

Ok thats good to know. Idk a lot
About
Bettas so I guess ill get just the betta and try a cheap, small nano fish and see how it goes, Id rather have the betta than others because this
Betta is super beautiful

Ok thats good to know. Idk a lot
About
Bettas so I guess ill get just the betta and try a cheap, small nano fish and see how it goes, Id rather have the betta than others because this
Betta is super beautiful

Personally with a 5.5 I would stick to the betta alone. They have so much personality and are so beautiful that in that size tank you wouldn't miss having any other fish.

With low light you could also look into adding java ferns and anubias nana.

FishontheRock said:
Personally with a 5.5 I would stick to the betta alone. They have so much personality and are so beautiful that in that size tank you wouldn't miss having any other fish.

With low light you could also look into adding java ferns and anubias nana.

I have a standard aqueon light hood for
It. I was thinking of just getting a 'plant growth' light for the hood

I have a standard aqueon light hood for
It. I was thinking of just getting a 'plant growth' light for the hood

I'm growing java ferns and anubias under ambient light in a 2g so I'm sure what ever you have will work for those two!

I wouldn't put cardinals in a 5.5g with or without a betta. With only 3, they will get fairly hostile. I have 3 in a 40b and they are down right nasty to each other. They were by far the meanest fish in the tank before I got lemon tetras.

Anubias, java ferns, and crypts are very flexible plants light-wise. A single T8, fluorescent bulb, or even decent ambient light should keep them alive.

I was thinking of some type of
Grass and possibly javamoss with some anubias. Black sand or gravel substrate. Just make it look pretty. Ill just stick with the betta

Jacobsal91 said:
I was thinking of some type of
Grass and possibly javamoss with some anubias. Black sand or gravel substrate. Just make it look pretty. Ill just stick with the betta

Like a carpet? Unfortunatetly carpet plants require co2, good lighting and ferts. You could do a moss carpet, or staurago repens (cant spell the name) but even that requires med light and ferts.
Bbuut if your not talking about a carpet than hairgrass is a "grass" but you will probably have to trim it daily. Maybe dwarf hairgrass

tropicalmackdaddy said:
Like a carpet? Unfortunatetly carpet plants require co2, good lighting and ferts. You could do a moss carpet, or staurago repens (cant spell the name) but even that requires med light and ferts.
Bbuut if your not talking about a carpet than hairgrass is a "grass" but you will probably have to trim it daily. Maybe dwarf hairgrass

Yeah im not using a CO2 system. Ill try a moss carpet with a t8 bulb?

Jacobsal91 said:
Yeah im not using a CO2 system. Ill try a moss carpet with a t8 bulb?
You could try java. That looks cool, i have a moss wall goin and my baby fish love it

Yeah at work we have a flucal chi with baby guppys and baby platys and mollys in it with a bunch of java moss and it looks awesome, that tank is kind of what inspired me lol

image-2840546232.jpg

image-3106218420.jpg

Here are pics. Got it all set up today! When i added the plant and it all get settled in and such i found a bunch of little shrimp looking things, they remind me of pods that can be found in saltwater aquariums.. Anyone know what im talking about? I would take a pic but they are too small

Im getting the moss and driftwood in like 2 weeks. Want to see how this does first

Are they flee sized? In that case they might be a fresh water version of a pod. Also, were there any shrimp in the tank the plants came from? If there were they might be shrimplets! Either way they will get labelled 'betta snack'.

Beautiful betta! And incas the store neglected to tell you thats water sprite. If it doesn't have roots I'd let it float for a bit. It will grow them quick. If the stems are in the substrate they will rot and it takes the plant longer to root that way.

FishontheRock said:
Are they flee sized? In that case they might be a fresh water version of a pod. Also, were there any shrimp in the tank the plants came from? If there were they might be shrimplets! Either way they will get labelled 'betta snack'.

Beautiful betta! And incas the store neglected to tell you thats water sprite. If it doesn't have roots I'd let it float for a bit. It will grow them quick. If the stems are in the substrate they will rot and it takes the plant longer to root that way.

No shrimp in the tank, im sure the betta will get at them. It has little roots. Should i float it? I belive the plant was labeled wisteria or something like that.

Jacobsal91 said:
No shrimp in the tank, im sure the betta will get at them. It has little roots. Should i float it? I belive the plant was labeled wisteria or something like that.

Looks like water sprite in the picture but they can look similar. Look them up and decided.

If its sprite Id float it. The stem rotted on one of mine and it started floating. I was busy so it was a couple days before I had a chance to replant when I did it had 2+ inch roots up from stubbly little things before. Also, keep an eye on the leaves if they start going translucent you need iron. I just dose with flourish comprehensive 1 or 2times a week.

Back
Top Bottom