Mini predators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ywagner

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am wanting a mini predator tank. Hopefully limited cichlids but if you think it is really special don't hesitate to share. Thanks so much!
The tank is 20 gallons but they can be moved to larger tanks when outgrown. I also have pretty decent filtration

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There are very mini predators also.

First I think Apistos
If it's a 20Long they might be fine ?

Nano predators
Chocolate Gourami
Sparkling Gourami
Pencil Fish

They need lots of plants and safe tank mates

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scarlet badis are cool micro predators. Rams would be another good option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ya that would be cool

African butterfly fish are great ambush hunters or you could go with a paradise fish which is pretty active

Yea, Hujeta's and AFB's are too big for a 20g long term. I'd say the Butis butis (crazy fish), I'd love to have one but they stay to small :( I hear they are very amusing to watch.

Butis_butis.jpg

I've never had luck with the scarlet badis. I've never gotten them to display their natural coloration.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yea, Hujeta's and AFB's are too big for a 20g long term. I'd say the Butis butis (crazy fish), I'd love to have one but they stay to small :( I hear they are very amusing to watch.

Butis_butis.jpg

I've never had luck with the scarlet badis. I've never gotten them to display their natural coloration.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Badis Badis are NOT Scarlet Badis.
Confusing I know. Common name is Dwarf Chameleon Fish. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+836+1074&pcatid=1074
Badis badis get 3" ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418766332.248816.jpg

Scarlet Badis are Dario dario [emoji6]
Common names suck LOL
They stay TINY and some only accept live food. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418766255.793849.jpg

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A 7-8" fish in a 30" tank is to large? That's the same equivalent to a 12" Astronotus ocellatus in a 48" tank... They only reach 8".

Ctenolucius hujeta, Gar characin : aquarium

An ambush predator like a Hujeta should not be kept in a 20g. They need a lot of room to swim and dart at their prey. I kept one years ago and at 6" I felt my 30g Long was to small for him.

A 75g should be minimum for a full grown adult.

Well, finally got what I was looking for, I geuss. One of my friends needed money so I took a cincta pike (not sure of actual species), and 6 julidochromis marlieri, and a swamp darter. All for 55 not a bad dealImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419382271.426092.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419382287.775768.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419382304.960769.jpg

Don't you guys worry about tank size cause they will eventually be moved out

Scarlet badis are cool micro predators. Rams would be another good option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 scarlet badis are very beautiful underrated micro predators and fun to watch! I've got two in a tank filled with Endler's, hoping to get a few more

Don't you guys worry about tank size cause they will eventually be moved out

Just keep in mind the pike can get up to 18" so you will need at least a 180g long term.

Lol in that amount of time I will be off to college, but he will eventually move to my 60 gal

Back
Top Bottom