Minimum number of cory cats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I saw some panda cory cats at the LFS yesterday. I've always wanted them, but it was the first time I saw them in a store. They were pretty expensive, $4 each, so a school of 6 would cost $24, which is a lot. Is 6 the minimum they need to be happy, or will three or four work?

Ok, could I add 4 to a 20 long with a German Blue Ram, 8 neon tetras, and 3 platy, or would that be overstocled?

I think that would be a good stocking. I would make sure you get all male platies unless you want tons of babies.

5 is the recommended minimum, but you may be able to do 4. If you get 4, I would add at least 1 more to the tank when you can afford it.

Ive got 3 pepper corys (since I started my tank in January) and 4 Panda corys, love all my fish but the corys I enjoy alot. I love watching them when they eat in formation another I love watching is when they one side of the tank I throw the food at the opposite side, just to see how long the take to react to FEEDING TIME. They like bloodhounds hahahahah

Cories are good in groups of four, preferabbly more, but there are just four cories in my tank and its all chill.
As for the rams, its a hit and miss. My cories and rams practically ignore each other, the gravel side of my tank is for rams, the sand side of my tank is for the cories. The only time they are competitive with each other is when they are eating shrimp pellets, then they fight over food...

i have 4 juliis now and i think theyre perfectly fine, but i will be adding 2 more just bc they remind me of little kids. i get what you mean by what they cost. mine cost me 4 dollars each too.

allaboutfish said:
i have 4 juliis now and i think theyre perfectly fine, but i will be adding 2 more just bc they remind me of little kids. i get what you mean by what they cost. mine cost me 4 dollars each too.

Lucky, I live in Canada and at big ALS in Calgary panda cory's are 10.00$ each :(

They'll be ok. Mine squabble with one another when breeding but even then they seem to do fine staking out territory without excessively hurting one another, like what happens with larger cichlids.
that's good to know! i always thought they'd be bad with them.

I saw some panda cory cats at the LFS yesterday. I've always wanted them, but it was the first time I saw them in a store. They were pretty expensive, $4 each, so a school of 6 would cost $24, which is a lot. Is 6 the minimum they need to be happy, or will three or four work?
I have 5 corys in my tank:1 panda (Feldman), 1 albino (Haim), 1 julii and 2 melanistius and they school together. Maybe you could get a couple of pandas and fill the school with another, less expensive type.

Back
Top Bottom