Minimum Size for a Quarantine Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
I heard people say Quarantine tank what should be the minimum size? Is a 20g high ok to use as a QT? I am setting up a new 132g and thinking of using my current nano 20g high as a QT.

But here is the question: If I am going to buy a blue tang or any other fish in future and need to quarantine them first before it goes into my main 132g I will put it in the 20g and is that enough room for the blue tang for a few weeks? And how long do you need to quarantine a fish? I thought if the tank is too small they will need to be stressed for that few weeks while they are being quarantined?

I think a 20G QT, is a great size for initial fish, before they go onto the main, since they will more than likely be smaller, plus you would only be doing 1 or 2 at a time.....right? If you have to QT later, with bigger fish a 20G might get you by, if you don't have too many fish in there. If it were me and I was going for bigger fish and could afford it, I might think about going with a 30G and use the 20G for a fuge.....But that is just my thought....

roka64 nailed it, the assumption is we are QT smaller fish. IF you are buying young adyult or larger size fish then yes a 30g would be better. As for time 4-6 weeks is usually the standard for time in QT.

For someone doing a smaller tank a 10g can even work nice for QT. It really depends on the type of fish you are getting. juvenail clowns and gobies do not need a lot of room to begin with. Look at the size of the tank they are housed in at the LFS, in some cases for months.

Good Luck,

Back
Top Bottom