Miracle Mud vs Refugium Mineral Mud

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadSneak

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm putting together a refugium and I was wondering if anyone has used these products. I would like to know the success rate and what are the difference between the two. Thanks

I saw a study done on "miracle mud" a few years ago and the conclusion was that nothing was found in it to prove it came from the ocean. I found pieces of what appeared to be red brick and shiny man-made plastic things in mine. It's from someone's back yard IMO.
I used that stuff on a reef i kept years ago. No difference between that one and all the rest since. These are a waste of money in my opinion. I would get myself a few pounds of aragonite based sand and coat the bottom with that and call it a day.

mr_X said:
I saw a study done on "miracle mud" a few years ago and the conclusion was that nothing was found in it to prove it came from the ocean. I found pieces of what appeared to be red brick and shiny man-made plastic things in mine. It's from someone's back yard IMO.
I used that stuff on a reef i kept years ago. No difference between that one and all the rest since. These are a waste of money in my opinion. I would get myself a few pounds of aragonite based sand and coat the bottom with that and call it a day.

Aragonite sand is the only thing you use in your refugium? How deep?

Sure. As deep as you want. If you have a large enough refugium you can put a deep sand bed in it to help with filtration, but an inch or two is also fine. It's just for critters to breed in.
I don't have any sand in my refugium currently, but if I had some laying around, I'd put it in.

Back
Top Bottom