Miss anything

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm setting up a 55g tank and want to make sure I'm not missing anything important, right now I only have the tank. I have a 55g tank stand 5 inch bubble disk 25ft of airline hose tetra 10 air pump 150 watt heater tetra whisper EX 70 filter 48x12 hood 88g CO2 kit and 3 20lb bags of cichlid sand

Sent from peliper

I'm setting up a 55g tank and want to make sure I'm not missing anything important, right now I only have the tank. I have a 55g tank stand 5 inch bubble disk 25ft of airline hose tetra 10 air pump 150 watt heater tetra whisper EX 70 filter 48x12 hood 88g CO2 kit and 3 20lb bags of cichlid sand

Sent from peliper

test kit, python, prime, and lights (didn't see them mentioned)

My bad I lights come with the lid and I have a test kit for my other tanks prime is one thing I forgot. What is Python?

Sent from peliper

My bad I lights come with the lid and I have a test kit for my other tanks prime is one thing I forgot. What is Python?

Sent from peliper

It's a type of hose that does water changes. Python's attach to a faucet (removes the 5 gal buckets from the equation), but any siphon will work.

I use them in my fishroom, and can get done with 50% water changes on 38ish tanks in about 1 hour, plus not having all the strain with those buckets.

I use a small bucket so when I clean my 20 it takes about 2 or 3 trips up and down my stares to empty it

Sent from peliper

Be careful with Python. Make sure you have a faucet it will fit. Even the universal cap doesn't fit my faucets. The only one it fits is in my garage and that's one for a water hose and water runs 50 degrees.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Just got this yesterday and wow my life has changed. It's amazing. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427907013.578519.jpg

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Not sure if the 88g CO2 Kit will work for you in the long term for that size of tank. The cost of replacement cartridges will add up. I would entertain adding CO2 only if the lights dictate it. Alternatives to adding CO2 include products such as API CO2 Booster, Seachem Excel, and Metricide 14.
If you are adding CO2, then I would only run the air pump at night on a timer. Running it and adding CO2 will only waste CO2.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not sure if the 88g CO2 Kit will work for you in the long term for that size of tank. The cost of replacement cartridges will add up. I would entertain adding CO2 only if the lights dictate it. Alternatives to adding CO2 include products such as API CO2 Booster, Seachem Excel, and Metricide 14.
If you are adding CO2, then I would only run the air pump at night on a timer. Running it and adding CO2 will only waste CO2.

Can you run CO2 through an air split? I have 2 other tanks that use CO2 but don't have an actual CO2 generator ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427934869.399789.jpg

Sent from peliper

Can you run CO2 through an air split? I have 2 other tanks that use CO2 but don't have an actual CO2 generator View attachment 269017

Sent from peliper

Due to the pressure involved I think you would need a manifold feeding off a regulator. I think it would be too much for an air line gang valve.
How is CO2 supplied to the other two tanks? Pressurized? DIY? The Fluval cartridge kits?

I assuming the DIY CO2 is for your smaller tanks (10g , 20g)? Perfectly fine for that. But for a 55g it might be a stretch.
If the light came with the tank/hood, then they might not be strong enough to warrant using CO2 in the 55g.
Money better spent on a good test kit and water conditioner (Prime).

Back
Top Bottom