Missing fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Metatron

Aquarium Advice Regular
I added a black male swordtail to my tank yesterday and today he is gone...just gone...he didn't jump out, we shook the plants around...I saw him this morning, if he died would the other fish have eaten him up that fast??? I have 4 corys, a pearl gourami, 3 serpaes, some Danios and minnows and glow light Tetras...

That sounds like plenty of fish to consume a corpse in a couple of hours. Usually you would find some residue though, or at least a partial corpse with mostly bone.

Do you test your water? I would check and see if the ammonia is spiking. That might indicate that decomposition is occurring, but it's possible your sword tail has been completely eaten. All it takes is a sign of weakness and a frenzy can occur, especially considering if you slightly under-feed your fish.

I haven't checked...I will check the water now...im not finding anyyyything at all, that's why I thought maybe he might have jumped, there is a triangle spot in the back that is open....i am actually a bit of an over feeder, I didn't realize they would do that, just thank God I wasn't here to see it ��

What size tank are they all in? The amount of fish you described would probably be best in at least a 29 gallon. It could have been a territory issue.

It's a 54 corner and the water is perfect no ammonia or nitrates...from watching them last night and this morning, nobody seemed to mind each other at all

Hm, that's plenty of room it sounds like. But in a tank with with a bunch of fish, I've seen one fish single out another for seemingly no reason. As soon as it's dead, it's food for everyone else in there. If he doesn't show up in a day or two, I think it's safe to assume your sword tail was probably eaten, unfortunately. Did you notice any notable behavior when floating him?

He actually seemed quite feisty in the bag and pretty normal I guess when floating, kinda checking things out...ugh, I don't take fish death well...lol

It's anyways unfortunate, I totally understand. At least you don't have to work at a chain store like I do and witness wrong-doings and needless fish death on a daily basis. My store ordered about 10 Chestnut Cowrie saltwater snails that need to be between 64-72 Fahrenheit. They went into an 82 degree tank and all died within 24 hours.

My vague point being, you attempted to provide an awesome life for your swordtail, and I'm sure it would have loved it's new home, but sometimes you can't control the instincts of your other inhabitants. It sucks, I know!

Back
Top Bottom