Missing Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nsu7

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it possible that a 4 striped damsel died overnight and was eaten by two blue damsels. Because there are NO traces of the fish anymore (without getting my hands into the tank-I looked in the filter...)

All the fish are new in a new tank and they haven't been eating much...

you would think there would be some sign since you don't have a cleanup crew.

Yeah, I found him dead underneath the tufa rock. This makes me wonder if you can do the same thing with a dead fish in a brand new tank that you can with a few dead shrimp from the LGS reference cycling.

Yes, you can. the dead fish will help kick of the cycle just like the shrimp. I would suggest removing all other livestock.

Jump stater are a waste of money. Spend it on LR instead. They may work as claimed at getting water parameters ready to go but they do nothing to prepare the tank for long-term livestock. The typical scenario is as follows...John wants a SW tank. John buys what he needs and using a jumper-starter product. All water parameters are reading very well after a short time. John puts a bunch of fish in his tank. All of John's fish die from NH3 posioning and he does not understand why.
Building up the benificial bacteria needed to keep a tank de-toxified just takes time. If it is rushed you will only be in a constant battle keeping water parameters at an acceptable level you will waste a lot of money of fish that keep dying.

Is that b/c the bacteria in the jump starters like Right Now go away and you're left with no naturally devolping bacteria? Do you need special lighting for LR? How hard is LR to add...

Is that b/c the bacteria in the jump starters like Right Now go away and you're left with no naturally devolping bacteria?
That is pretty much it. No long-term colonization.
Do you need special lighting for LR?
Nope. the biological benifits of LR do not require special lighting. The coraline and hitch hiker corals (if they come on the rock) will require a certain amount of lighting. CA/ALK balance are more important.
How hard is LR to add...
Very easy. It really depends if it comes fully cured or not. For fully cured LR check out www.liverocks.com It ships overnight to your door and can be added (with caution) directly to the main.

Ok, thanks :D So since I already bought some of this Right Now! Aside from sending it back (time consuming, don't really want to...) Can I get some of both worlds by adding a small amount?

it won't really hurt anything. Just know they can give you a false sense that your tank is ready to go. I still recommend waiting the typcal 4-6 weeks for proper, natual cycling.

Back
Top Bottom