Missing Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These guys like to hide. Try removing or moving aside all plants & decor. When removing hides, be sure to check carefully with a flashlight to see if it’s there. Do you have other fish in the tank? What kind of pleco do you have &what’s the size? If the pleco died, it’s possible the others ate him.

Check carefully around the filter. Mine like to cling to all sides of it & the coloration blends in.
If you have a sponge filter, look underneath, that is, if you have smaller plecos.

Last edited:
These guys like to hide. Try removing or moving aside all plants & decor. When removing hides, be sure to check carefully with a flashlight to see if it’s there. Do you have other fish in the tank? What kind of pleco do you have &what’s the size? If the pleco died, it’s possible the others ate him.

Check carefully around the filter. Mine like to cling to all sides of it & the coloration blends in.
If you have a sponge filter, look underneath, that is, if you have smaller plecos.
1.25 inches I did move everything didn't see him. Tetras barbs rainbow, was a normal Bushynose Pelco.
I'm worried if he did die when I did the gravel cleaning I pushed him in the gravel even farther

1.25 inches I did move everything didn't see him. Tetras barbs rainbow, was a normal Bushynose Pelco.
I'm worried if he did die when I did the gravel cleaning I pushed him in the gravel even farther

They have a knack of holding onto things when they get moved. You could have picked up a rock and it was on it and you didn't see it.
Unless you see a rise in ammonia in your tank, it's safe to say that if it is dead, it is not causing a problem to your water quality. If you do see ammonia, a water change will help that and do some gravel cleaning to see if you can find the skeleton. (y)

Hope it shows up, poor little thing. Plecos do better in sand, not gravel. Someone gave me an 11” common pleco about a month ago & I love her & bought 4 tiny clown plecos, 2 rhino plecos and 3 blue phantoms. Every source I’m reading says to use sand.

Usually they scurry off as the vacuum approaches. If not, shove them aside with a net or whatever. They are, as Andy says, clingy things.

This is my big girl.

Dang, the pics keep rotating when uploaded.

Last edited:
They have a knack of holding onto things when they get moved. You could have picked up a rock and it was on it and you didn't see it.

Unless you see a rise in ammonia in your tank, it's safe to say that if it is dead, it is not causing a problem to your water quality. If you do see ammonia, a water change will help that and do some gravel cleaning to see if you can find the skeleton. (y)
OK, I will keep checking; my ammonia was in check, and then it jumped to that 2 parts per million, so I'm thinking that was him dying

Hope it shows up, poor little thing. Plecos do better in sand, not gravel. Someone gave me an 11” common pleco about a month ago & I love her & bought 4 tiny clown plecos, 2 rhino plecos and 3 blue phantoms. Every source I’m reading says to use sand.

Usually they scurry off as the vacuum approaches. If not, shove them aside with a net or whatever. They are, as Andy says, clingy things.

This is my big girl.

Dang, the pics keep rotating when uploaded.
He's alive

:dance::dance::dance:Wonderful!

here's the pic of my 11" common pleco that rotated when uploaded from the ipad yesterday. I'm trying on the laptop now.

Attachments

• IMG_0307[4999]new pleco.jpg
    IMG_0307[4999]new pleco.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom