Misterpenguins 4 gallon shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterpenguin4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I already have the tank started up. The substrate is pool filter sand, light is finnex clip on with a cfl, and filter is an aquaclear 20. This is prettymuch what the scape will look like. I had the filter media in another tank for a couple months, so its prettymuch an instant cycle. Right now there is only a single assassin snail. He used to have a pond snail friend, but that didnt work out.

Tell me what you think of the scape! Be honest.

I think the scape looks very plain and simple...I think you could add a rock in at least and give it a little more interest I guess...or some stem plants for some height or something...that is just my opinion and I'm sure the shrimp would enjoy climbing around on taller plants if you put them in there

Yup I was gonna say add a couple stones to fill the void, looks very elegant though, I like it so far!

I was kind of going for simple scape. Fibsog, do you know what iwagumi is? You cant just put rocks in a tank and make it iwagumi. But I added an extra group of plants to fill the space on the left. Also, got the shrimp today! Along with some ramshorn snails to keep the assassin snail company hehe.

Droped in some Hikari sinking wafers and everybody loves them. Water is stained due to the alder cones and piece of indian almond leaf I put in there to help ease them into their new home. Also, I just ordered 15 tangerine tiger shrimp. Im hoping to get an amano and maybe one more kind of shrimp. Blue bee maybe? I also might order a few thai micro crabs. Not right now though. Dont want to add to many things at once and money doesn't grow on trees ya know! Do I just leave the alder cone and indian almond leaf in there until they decompose?

Tangerine tigers came in today and they all look great. Really cool looking shrimp. Will post pictures tomorrow, although I dont think anyone is even looking at this thread so idk.

I was kind of going for simple scape. Fibsog, do you know what iwagumi is? You cant just put rocks in a tank and make it iwagumi. But I added an extra group of plants to fill the space on the left. Also, got the shrimp today! Along with some ramshorn snails to keep the assassin snail company hehe.

Coool tank what kind of grass is that

It is dwarf sag. I like it, easy to keep and should grow in pretty quickly.

Honestly...uh, that tank looks great. I typically prefer dark substrates but the shrimp and snails really stand out (in a good way).
What kind of light is that?

Honestly...uh, that tank looks great. I typically prefer dark substrates but the shrimp and snails really stand out (in a good way).
What kind of light is that?

I was thinking about doing a dark substrate, but I wanted to go for a more "natural" look and the other tank in my room has dark substrate, so I wanted to mix it up. The light is just an ordinary CFL i got off ebay if I remember correctly. Its 6700K I cant remember the wattage off the top of my head, but Ill let you know when I get home from work.

Are there any shrimp besides amano and ghost shrimp that wouldnt crossbreed with RCS or tangerine tigers? I want to get another kind of shrimp, but I dont think I can.

Are there any shrimp besides amano and ghost shrimp that wouldnt crossbreed with RCS or tangerine tigers? I want to get another kind of shrimp, but I dont think I can.

I think RCS are neocaridina and Tangerine are caridina...so that probably eliminates red rilli, bee, Crystal reds, etc. Hoping someone chimes in with a better answer.

Some update pics:
RCS riding an assassin snail

These crappy pictures taken with my phone really dont do the tangerin tigers justice.

I have 2 berried RCS! Hoping the tangerine tigers start breeding soon, but IDK of they are mature enough yet.

Food frenzy

So I went ahead and ordered 15 blue bee shrimp yesterday. They are getting shipped out today. Still looking for some amano shrimp and thai micro crabs. Having a tough time finding a reasonable price including shipping, and I will NEVER get anything from bobstropicalplants again...

Back
Top Bottom