Mixing cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhys23

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've just bought 9 baby Mbuna cichlids for my new 55g tank but I also have 3 larger older mbunas in my old tank, is it okay to put these older mbunas in with the new younger mbunas or should I wait until they have grown a bit?

I have all sizes in my mixed African tank, I think it is recommended to have all the same size. Mine get along fine, when I added my 1 inch Dem he was hunted by my Compressiceps for about 3 days. I have fish ranging in sizes from 1 inch to 1 being almost 6 inches.

Okay well my new ones are all roughly 1" and the older ones are about 3", is the alpha male in the tank likely to act the same in the new tank?

Rhys23 said:
Okay well my new ones are all roughly 1" and the older ones are about 3", is the alpha male in the tank likely to act the same in the new tank?

It's always tough for me when I add littler fish because it def is a gamble. You don't know how the other tabkmates will act. I've had established bosses get punked out by the new comers. Good luck :)

Rhys23 said:

In my experience as your origional tank boss is a fair bit bigger than the newcomers he will probably regain his status but first he will have to take it.In a new tank there will always be a mini battle for dominancy.It is possible that one of the smaller fish will take his mantle but I highly doubt it.

garfy said:
In my experience as your origional tank boss is a fair bit bigger than the newcomers he will probably regain his status but first he will have to take it.In a new tank there will always be a mini battle for dominancy.It is possible that one of the smaller fish will take his mantle but I highly doubt it.

Oh, haha, yea I should have mentioned that the new fish I was speaking of were larger hahahaa!

Yeah I've tried to make as many hiding spots for the new fish so that they aren't always exposed to the bigger ones so hopefully that will prevent the littler fish being picked in a bit more,

I usually try to change up the aquascape a little when I add new fish, regardless of size. It causes all fish to establish new territories and you dont have as much defending of territories that are already established.

Rhys23 said:
Yeah I've tried to make as many hiding spots for the new fish so that they aren't always exposed to the bigger ones so hopefully that will prevent the littler fish being picked in a bit more,

It will definately help

Okay thanks for the advise guys :)
I shall be putting in the bigger tank soon then!

Back
Top Bottom