Mixing dwarf gouramis and pearl gouramis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

novaheat

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone have dwarf gouramis and pearl gouramis in the same tank? I currently have two dwarf gouramis and two dwarf powder blue gouramis and was thinking about a male and two female pearls. The dwarfs seem to be getting along fine.

Thanks,
NovaHeat

I think it is really going to boil down to the temperament of each fish. Some people say they have no problems with multiple gouramis and others say it is a no no. From my experiences I would say no. A friend had two DG's in her 30g and they constantly were attacking each other. Eventually I talked her into rehoming one of them. You can try it, but just be ready to rehome them or return them to the LFS if things get out of hand.

As said above it depends on the individual temperament of each fish. I have a gourami spieces tank with twenty fish from pearls,moonlights, blues, golds and dwarfs with zero aggression but had to rehome one large male gold.

Does anyone have dwarf gouramis and pearl gouramis in the same tank? I currently have two dwarf gouramis and two dwarf powder blue gouramis and was thinking about a male and two female pearls. The dwarfs seem to be getting along fine.

Thanks,
NovaHeat

I agree with the others. I would not try multiple DGs. And by the way, both of those are the same species, colisa lalia.

I wondered about the common name of the blue with red stripes. The only name other than Latin name I have seen is Dwarf Gourami. All of the other dwarf gouramis I have seen had something added, honey, powder blue, etc.

I had heard the Dwarfs were more laid back than the regular Gouramis. I want be adding the pearl gouramis to the mix. The dwarfs have found a mean streak. They have plenty of room to run and places to hide. I don't know to wait it out to see if they will get along or see if I can return them and go back to just one. They seemed less hostile when there were 20 of them in a little tank.

Wife loved the striped one. I'd rather have one male and two female pearls. I have taken a big portion of her living room and had to remove her rocking chair. I am playing nice :). Not to mention my boat takes up a large portion of the driveway.

Any thoughts on what would be the best thing?

All but the original Dwarf has been returned to LFS. Everything is back to normal. It would have been nice to keep them but the price of their health was at stake.

Thanks,
NovaHeat

Reactions: HN1
Bravo on doing that. I know how hard it can be to rehome fish.

Back
Top Bottom