Mixing Instant Ocean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awesome. Patience is a key thing in keeping a successful reef aquarium and something a lot of people don't have and try to shorten the waiting periods with media and other additives. Let it cycle through real good and give it a good 3 months before adding any corals. Start with softies and move up to LPS. I guess I'm assuming that your planning to do a reef though... Right?

Yes I am, I am going to have 2 clowns 1 cardinal 1 yellow tang 1 blue tang and 2 black & white clowns, I think that would be cool, I don't think I will be over populating, I want a lot of bubble tops, some mushrooms and that circular green coral that has reddish rims around the circles, do you know the one I'm trying to describe ?

Bubble tops? Im assuming bubble coral? as far as the circular coral...? no idea, lol.. Perhaps a scolimia, acan of favia of sorts? if you can get a pic of what it is it could probably be identified

OK, this morning I assembled and hung my Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer. I have the rock ready for the final clean up with my air compressor and will be putting it all in the curing can today. I've thought of a few questions that I am not sure of so here goes.

#1. How much wiggle room do I have on water temperature and salinity once I am up and running with fish? I am assuming 1.025 is the ideal temperature.

#2. Is it better to use the hinged glass lids that came with my tank, or should I have some 1/4" mesh screens made to fit? I'm thinking air here. Screens will lower the temp a degree or two.

#3. My rock will be 6 weeks cured over the 4th. of July week-end. When should I start my Aquarium cycle? And should I toss a shrimp in there too?

#4. This is my pump that I have in the curing tank right now along with one 1500 gph powerhead. Is that overkill for the curing process or should I use one or the other? Sicce Syncra 1 0 Silent 10 MT 250 GPH | eBay

This is the set of lights I was recommended by another guy on here, what are your thoughts on them for my coral reef? 2pcs 165W Full Spectrum LED Aquarium Light Dimmable Grow Fish Reef Coral Marine | eBay

#5. These are the type of testers I am thinking about investing in, the only one I can't find that Hana makes is a magnesium checker. New Hanna Hi 700 Checker HC Ammonia Photometer HI700 Fresh Water | eBay

I'll more than likely have more questions. I really am feeling better about all this now that I have found you for advice. Thanks again, Jeff.

OK, this morning I assembled and hung my Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer. I have the rock ready for the final clean up with my air compressor and will be putting it all in the curing can today. I've thought of a few questions that I am not sure of so here goes.

#1. How much wiggle room do I have on water temperature and salinity once I am up and running with fish? I am assuming 1.025 is the ideal temperature.

#2. Is it better to use the hinged glass lids that came with my tank, or should I have some 1/4" mesh screens made to fit? I'm thinking air here. Screens will lower the temp a degree or two.

#3. My rock will be 6 weeks cured over the 4th. of July week-end. When should I start my Aquarium cycle? And should I toss a shrimp in there too?

#4. This is my pump that I have in the curing tank right now along with one 1500 gph powerhead. Is that overkill for the curing process or should I use one or the other? Sicce Syncra 1 0 Silent 10 MT 250 GPH | eBay

This is the set of lights I was recommended by another guy on here, what are your thoughts on them for my coral reef? 2pcs 165W Full Spectrum LED Aquarium Light Dimmable Grow Fish Reef Coral Marine | eBay

#5. These are the type of testers I am thinking about investing in, the only one I can't find that Hana makes is a magnesium checker. New Hanna Hi 700 Checker HC Ammonia Photometer HI700 Fresh Water | eBay

I'll more than likely have more questions. I really am feeling better about all this now that I have found you for advice. Thanks again, Jeff.

Ok let's see.. If your only doing fish, 1.023 is good and 1.026 for reef. Keeping them stable really isn't that hard, just make sure to top off the evaporates water with RODI everyday (or just get a ATO). Temp
Should be 78-82.. Stable is better but I've had some big swings when my ac and heater was out, and as I'm sure you know, living in Florida you can need both of those in the same week (or day??)

Go with the mesh, or you can use egg crate as well.

Throw in the shrimp whenever you start curing rock. Because you'll have filly cycled rock goin into your tank, you shouldn't have too much of a cycle in the tank, but I would throw another shrimp in it just to be safe. The sand bed will still need to colonize te BB.

The pump and lights are fine.

Your going to want to get something to test nitrate, nitrite, ph, alk and calc. Red Sea is affordable and pretty actuate.

Hope this helps!

What's your reasoning on curing the rock outside the tank? It doesn't make much of a difference. You could cycle your tank WHILE curing your rock.

You cure out side the tank incase there is any phosphate leached by the rock, that way you don't fuel an algae bloom before you even get started

I have the API Saltwater Master Test Kit. I just started the curing cycle, aside from replacing evaporation loss with freshwater, what testing schedule should I start?

Api is kind of crap IMO. I use it for ammonia, nitrite and ph.. Anything else I use Red Sea. You honestly don't REALLY need to test for anything unless your bored.. I believe you said you were curing for 6 weeks? If so just test the ammonia and nitrites and possibly ph during the last week or so. Testing for nitrates here and there would give you an idea of where you are at with your cycle because that's the final stage of the biological breakdown of ammonia.

Now that I'm thinking about it, you may want to do a water change half way through the cycle just to flush any nitrates/phosphates out of the system.. Might be overkill but it's something I would probably do.

And don't feel bad about buying api.. I made that same mistake too lol.. Red Sea is a little more expensive but so much more accurate.. Definitely a wise investment

Maybe 20% or so. Remember, I'm
Not saying this is necessary, but it's not a bad idea either

Well, I'm going into my 2nd week of curing the rock, not doing much. I do have a question. When I get to the end of the cure, how much open time do I have with the rock before it must be submerged in the display tank? My concern is the substrate and when I add the live crushed coral. I have one Pukani rock a little bigger than a medicine ball, 2 a little bigger than a football, 2 foot balls and 2 nerf ball size pieces. I would like to aquascape on bare glass, add the crushed coral around the rocks, and THEN fill the tank with sea water. Rather than adding the rock to a full tank with substrate in place. It seems like I saw a video on youtube, and the guy said you should immediately transfer the rock from cure tank to display tank.

Well, I'm going into my 2nd week of curing the rock, not doing much. I do have a question. When I get to the end of the cure, how much open time do I have with the rock before it must be submerged in the display tank? My concern is the substrate and when I add the live crushed coral. I have one Pukani rock a little bigger than a medicine ball, 2 a little bigger than a football, 2 foot balls and 2 nerf ball size pieces. I would like to aquascape on bare glass, add the crushed coral around the rocks, and THEN fill the tank with sea water. Rather than adding the rock to a full tank with substrate in place. It seems like I saw a video on youtube, and the guy said you should immediately transfer the rock from cure tank to display tank.

You don't get much time. I suggest filling the tank, putting the rock in, and then the substrate.

Thanks, I was thinking of ways to convey the live crushed coral, making as little disturbance as possible, a tube is what I'm thinking. I'll rig up a Rube Goldberg funneling / hopper system of some kind, unless you have a better suggestion. Also, should I add say, 45-50 gals. of water ahead of time to let the cycle begin, or just add the water the day I am adding rock & substrate ?

Did you already buy the crushed coral? Most people that start out with crushed coral end up switching because it traps detritus and can cause nutrient issues in the tank.

I have 2 20lb bags, no big deal. I bought the crushed coral at the suggestion of the guy at Petland before I knew what a coral was. What do you suggest ?

Back
Top Bottom