Mixing Station

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wwidener

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys. I'm starting my mixing station project with 2 44g drums and about to buy an RODI unit. 50gpd? 150gpd? 4 stage? 6 stage? Thoughts?

How much water will you need and do you know the pressure on supply.
If under 50lbs. you may need a pump.
Is your source chlorine or chloramine.
I am BRS for my RO/DI and regular water filters .
You can add canisters no problem to have more if wanted.Things like a flush are nice to make cartridges last the longest..
A built in TDS meter is really nice as you are going to find out depending what your source starts at how fast you may go through the DI media.I is the fastest spent and you need to know if it is not shooting 0...
A good float val;ve is a must..I have heard horror stories from people who sourced theirs cheaply...

I have a Barracuda Aqua FX 100gpd setup here. Lynn uses chloramine so I run BRS double carbon blocks after my sediment filter to help with the removal of this. +1 for a float valve in your water barrel. I flooded the basement a few rimes forgetting to shut it off lol! Most of the $200-300 units have a 4-1 ratio so 4 gallons of waste for every 1 gallon of RO/DI produced. BRS units are nice and I think some of theirs you can buy with TDS meter and flush valve. I use 2- 20 gallon barrels now but I am going to upsize these now that I have 120G DT. My mixing setup is pretty basic but a lot of others take it to the next level.
F5DB60BB-E520-4B9A-A3D7-800ACC579AB4.jpg

Where does your external water source come from?

You can hook up anywhere.
BRS will send you 3 choices on the better units along with HM in line TDS in/out meter..
I run the chloramine deluxe also so 6 stage with addition micron sediment filters..
I mix warm and cold also as cold water is harder on its performance.
I run a pump before unit and have the 150GPD so I needed it.
it is not as hard as you think and again BRS has videos to show you EVERYTHING involved with install and proper maintenance.. The videos are awesome and free...

Mine is connected to a cold water fawcet if you look to the right side of my picture. Make sure you put an online check valve on your supply if it will be left on so water in the unit does not get drawn back out into your drinking water

Back
Top Bottom